Radiology vs Path

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

odyssey2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
which would you recommend to med students considering these two fields? They seem to attract similar personalities and both have decent salaries and relatively benign training periods.

Members don't see this ad.

Are you sure you've done enough research into both fields?
Rads at my hospital bill 900k, path 400k (CAD)
Rads residency has brutal overnight call. Path call hardly anything on call.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Do you like histology or imaging?

Radiology job market is better and in general radiology is higher paying. AI will have an effect on both fields. Do what you enjoy more. I’d choose radiology just because of geographic flexibility alone but make sure you enjoy it. I still think pathology is saturated with few jobs in large cities with depressed salaries.

Rads job market is probably robust and salaries are great. You can can jobs with 12-16 weeks vacation as well with high salary.

Yeah I’d go for rads if I were you.

They are nothing alike other than you write reports. The knowledge bases and skills are completely different. You need to spend more time in each.

Reactions: 2 users
which would you recommend to med students considering these two fields? They seem to attract similar personalities and both have decent salaries and relatively benign training periods.
Are you a radiology resident? I don't think you have much exposure, or don't interact with pathologists much if this is your take-away. If you are advising medical students who are interested in these two fields, have them talk to a pathologist directly. Even though both are "diagnostic fields" they are miles apart when it comes to clinical practice, salaries and job supply. The "benign training period" you refer to is also very different for both of these specialties.

Reactions: 2 users
Radiology has lot more interventional procedures which is a good thing. Pathology could definitely use more interventional procedures to show more value. Radiology job market is better. Your odds of being sued may be higher with radiology just due to the massive volume. Last I heard it was 70% (rads) vs 40% (path) for risk of being sued.

Rads all day. Much easier to find a high salary. Same nice lifestyle that we pathologists enjoy. Only caveat is the AI career risk is a bit higher in rads.

Radiology has lot more interventional procedures which is a good thing. Pathology could definitely use more interventional procedures to show more value. Radiology job market is better. Your odds of being sued may be higher with radiology just due to the massive volume. Last I heard it was 70% (rads) vs 40% (path) for risk of being sued.
Yeah, from one of the bigger and more cited studies, Rads was more frequently sued, but Path had one of the largest median payouts of all specialties.