Radiopharmaceuticals

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jcradonc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since the radiopharmaceutical industry is expanding and many new drugs are in the pipeline for oncologic care, will radiation oncologist manage this aspect of care? On my rotation I saw use of samarium and yttrium 90, but was wondering whether monoclonal antibodies, usually prescribed by med onc would now fall under rad onc because of the conjugated isotope?

Members don't see this ad.

Since the radiopharmaceutical industry is expanding and many new drugs are in the pipeline for oncologic care, will radiation oncologist manage this aspect of care? On my rotation I saw use of samarium and yttrium 90, but was wondering whether monoclonal antibodies, usually prescribed by med onc would now fall under rad onc because of the conjugated isotope?

Right now, it varies from institution to individuals and the market is pretty open. At our hospital, the Nuc medicine docs do that.

Med oncs can't give them as they lack the proper licensing and training

in residency, nuc med did it. In private practice where I am, we do it

Members don't see this ad :)
What is reimbursement like for radiopharmaceutical administration? Nuc meds at my program run that show...

Literally nothing for rad-oncs in Maryland. We do it rarely, because med oncs like to really waste the marrow before we try it, at which point we can't.

What is reimbursement like for radiopharmaceutical administration? Nuc meds at my program run that show...