Radiotherapy in Ukraine: Lancet Oncology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Palex80

RAD ON
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Nice article on Lancet Oncology appeared last week.

Radiotherapy in conflict: lessons from Ukraine​

Interesting facts:

- 80% of radiotherapy centers in Ukraine are/were Cobalt-based. I had assumed that 30 years after the breakup of the Soviet Union more of those would have been modernized with Linacs.

- 1 Linac per 500k people

Members don't see this ad.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Linacs break down a lot and need contant supply of parts as well as expertise to fix. Not a good solution for 3rd world countries.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Interesting facts:

- 80% of radiotherapy centers in Ukraine are/were Cobalt-based. I had assumed that 30 years after the breakup of the Soviet Union more of those would have been modernized with Linacs.

And the lesson is what exactly? They had poor RT infrastructure prewar and now it’s worse? Can’t say I disagree

What’s next? How to deliver single fx RT to the rectum while taking mortar fire? A randomized control trial on the overall survival benefit of a flak jacket? When cancer goes to war: an RTTs perspective.

Aren’t there a ton of other more pressing health issues in that country at the moment?

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users
The way things are heading in America, "Radiotherapy in Conflict" may be in our future as well.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users

Interesting facts:

Cobalt is a pain versus a linac. But, Best sells a cobalt machine that does IMRT. I hear they're working on IGRT add on for the machine too. While the cobalt machine is delivering IMRT (or any other RT), it uses as much power--at most--as a modern laptop. It's very easy to run that with, like, a Honda gas powered generator. I like to remind people that Gen1 ViewRay used cobalt... and don't forget GammaKnife. Emphasis on the gamma.

Cobalt and non-linac machines make sense in countries with poor power infrastructure and political or socioeconomic instability. As an aside, the country that purchases the most Xstrahl units is Russia.

Reactions: 2 users
Cobalt is a pain versus a linac. But, Best sells a cobalt machine that does IMRT. I hear they're working on IGRT add on for the machine too. While the cobalt machine is delivering IMRT (or any other RT), it uses as much power--at most--as a modern laptop. It's very easy to run that with, like, a Honda gas powered generator. I like to remind people that Gen1 ViewRay used cobalt... and don't forget GammaKnife. Emphasis on the gamma.

Cobalt and non-linac machines make sense in countries with poor power infrastructure and political or socioeconomic instability. As an aside, the country that purchases the most Xstrahl units is Russia.
What's an Xstrahl cost?

Can I put one in my garage and run a skin clinic?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users