Raising BS and PS from 10's to 11's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HirsuteAnthony

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm wondering, how hard is it to raise one's BS and PS scores from consistent 10's to consistent 11's on practice tests? Is it just a matter of practice, or (less likely) does the transition from 10's to 11's rely on a certain level of native intelligence?

Apologies if this specific topic has already been covered.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys. I'm wondering, how hard is it to raise one's BS and PS scores from consistent 10's to consistent 11's on practice tests? Is it just a matter of practice, or (less likely) does the transition from 10's to 11's rely on a certain level of native intelligence?

If you are consistently getting 10 on BS and PS, I think getting 11 is very possible. I is not that big of a jump...only 2-3 more correct answers will get you to 11. I think most of us usually miss a couple of questions due to not carefully read the passages and questions at times. I think with a little more practice and careful reading of the passages, you should be able to score consistently 11.

look at the type of questions you are getting wrong--is it discretes? then do more content review. if its more application based, do more practice

It's like 3-4 questions on each section. You might get a 10 on one day and an 11 on another day depending on the topics.

Members don't see this ad :)

I'd say more practice as well, while reading passages carefully. For me, ek 1001 was pretty good.

I just got better at reading passages and finding info from them. The book also made me realize I didn't know some of the stuff, so I studied that stuff harder/in depth. The book was probably not at the quality level of the aamc tests, but it was way more practice.
I was getting 12's on the aamc, but got a 15 on the real deal. I generally had ~15 min left on the practice tests and I was just tired and didn't care to recheck, so maybe that's why it's lower, but getting a 15 is part luck.

I just got better at reading passages and finding info from them. The book also made me realize I didn't know some of the stuff, so I studied that stuff harder/in depth. The book was probably not at the quality level of the aamc tests, but it was way more practice.
I was getting 12's on the aamc, but got a 15 on the real deal. I generally had ~15 min left on the practice tests and I was just tired and didn't care to recheck, so maybe that's why it's lower, but getting a 15 is part luck.
Great score in BS....What was your average overall in EK bio 1001 and EK 30-minute exams? I am averaging 75+ in bio 1001 and 9 on EK 30min exams...That's scaring me now since I am hoping to get 11+ on the actual stuff? Did you use anything else other than EK bio stuff?

Great score in BS....What was your average overall in EK bio 1001 and EK 30-minute exams? I am averaging 75+ in bio 1001 and 9 on EK 30min exams...That's scaring me now since I am hoping to get 11+ on the actual stuff? Did you use anything else other than EK bio stuff?

That's a good avg... I got 67%-82% (avg~73% or so) for 1001. I didn't do the 30 min tests so idk how accurate those are. I would start worrying after taking about 2-4 aamc tests. I also took kaplan practice tests which may have helped for bio. I used kaplan for bio (I don't think it was too good), but i knew pretty much all of the stuff from pre-reqs. I also read research papers so that may have helped me a little.
I think with bio, it's about having good knowledge about all the different systems, hormones etc. and then being able to apply the knowledge. Like if I said calcitonin is upregulated, which hormone is downregulated... which membrane does it act on, what does it do, how does it affect other organ systems (renal & digestive). So I basically tried to make connections between whatever I could and that may not work for you, but I thought it worked for me - it made me think about the hormone, not just memorize it. Another thing, if you get a couple of 10's, that's okay... I got 10 on 3 aamc tests so don't get scared... be confident about it (after all you've studied so much for it) and you'll do better.