Ranger School Negotiation when Reuping.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SapperDentist

Reaction score
Hi I am a prior enlisted Engineer currently a DS2 and HPSP. During my life in service I really Really wanted a TAB. As a soldier I tried really hard to go cool army schools, I competed in Best warrior competitions all they up to high command possible, I went to Air Assault school while in dental school (In DS1 year before I was "completely released" from my unit) during break and graduated as top performer in all events. I put these thing in the write that I am serious about pursuing a tab or tabs (If god wills). Unfortunate I couldn't go to sapper school because I was released from my old unit to be in HPSP.

I know that theoretically I can go to ranger school as a dentist but is it realistically possible to get it after my initial obligated services are over? Will the leadership be okay with such negotiations.

Thank you for reading
Sappers breach the way

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I would post this under military dentistry forum: Military Dentistry

I've seen dentists earn air borne, air assault and EFMB, but I've not seen a ranger tab on a dentist. I do think it's a high possibility if you're assigned as a BCT dentist or assigned at Fort Benning. I would ask the 63A career manager at HRC to see if ranger school is a possibility after you've completed your dental school.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I've been looking into Jungle school lately. I don't think it's really possible for me and my current position/duties.

Depending on your assigned clinic, attending for the 2 weeks or so would be possible. The required prerequisite training could be a little more challenging and may need to be completed outside of your clinical hours. If you get assigned to a large clinical, you could potentially be given more leeway to go to schooling and additional training.

If you’re going to ask your Command for a 6 week break from the clinic, you might as well go big and tell them you want to go on the “Long Walk” through the mountains of West Virginia.

Big Hoss

Last edited:
If you’re going to ask your Command for a 6 week break from the clinic, you might as well go big and tell them you want to go on the “Long Walk” through the mountains of West Virginia.

Big Hoss
Oh my GOD that is SO Hilarious! Why didn't I think of that? Anything else I need to tell my leadership during retention?