Rank list for PGY-1: # of candidates?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopeful1994

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Question for the RPD/ resident selection committee:

If a program interviews 30 candidates for 6 spots, how many candidates usually end up on the rank list? I know it all depends on the program, etc, but I would like to get a general idea. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Per Match statistics they need to rank about 5 people per position they want to fill in order to have the best odds in filling all spots. Were there telephone prescreenings for those 30 people interviewed? I’d be very hesitant to interview only 30 people for 6 spots unless they were thoroughly vetted... although from the sounds of it, the site may also have back room dealing. There’s always about 15-25% of an interview pool that are unrankable.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Per Match statistics they need to rank about 5 people per position they want to fill in order to have the best odds in filling all spots. Were there telephone prescreenings for those 30 people interviewed? I’d be very hesitant to interview only 30 people for 6 spots unless they were thoroughly vetted... although from the sounds of it, the site may also have back room dealing. There’s always about 15-25% of an interview pool that are unrankable.
We typically only rank about 50-60% of the applicants we interview (Interview 8 candidates/spot).

In your experience, what are the main reasons for not ranking an applicant? Does the clinical portion of the interview play a large role? Thank you in advance!

we ask ourselves "would I rather have this position be unmatched and scramble, or spend a year with (person's name)?". If so, we don't rank them.
Difficult personalities would prevent a rank, poorer clinical baseline would move you down the list against a stronger candidate. Similarly, a great personality (consensus agreement from ranking committee) and good letters of recommendation would bump a candidate up, potentially above a candidate with stronger clinical skills

Reactions: 2 users
we ask ourselves "would I rather have this position be unmatched and scramble, or spend a year with (person's name)?". If so, we don't rank them.
Difficult personalities would prevent a rank, poorer clinical baseline would move you down the list against a stronger candidate. Similarly, a great personality (consensus agreement from ranking committee) and good letters of recommendation would bump a candidate up, potentially above a candidate with stronger clinical skills

Is there anything that makes a person stand out as a bad candidate or a really good one? Everyone at my interviews seems highly qualified and like they have good personalities, and we all have similar GPAs or leadership or whatever got us the interviews in the first place.

Is there anything that makes a person stand out as a bad candidate or a really good one? Everyone at my interviews seems highly qualified and like they have good personalities, and we all have similar GPAs or leadership or whatever got us the interviews in the first place.

bad candidate: cockiness (subjective), interests don't align to program's strengths (and yet they thought they aligned enough to apply), high GPA but poor performance on a test/case during interview (this shows candidate is book smart but probably can't apply knowledge), unclear professional goals/ unclear reason why candidate is pursuing residency*

*I'm seeing a lot of this recently- many P4's have been "pushed" towards the residency route by their schools since as early as P1- and so they just feel like it's the natural thing to do after pharmacy school- and therefore, these "unclear professional goals/ reasons for residency" come out during the interview. residency is not for everyone

good candidate: does well on the case/ test (demonstrates clinical skill), sense of humor, can speak throughout the day with ease (including "non-interview" times- ie tour, lunch)

Reactions: 2 users
oh gosh, "unrankable" sounds so sad (but I guess I never considered this from the program's perspective)

It sounds sad, but when you see interviews from the other side, what's really sad is how some people actually managed to get an on site interview. I have heard about and have seen residency candidates interview in gym shoes, interview with terrible and distracting posture (female in a skirt sitting like a guy with legs wide open), giving a 30 minute presentation about your childhood for a scheduled 10 minute 'tell me about your pharmacy experience', falling asleep during the interview lunch, ordering alcohol during lunch, bad body odor as if slept in a dumpster the night before, asking the residency director what rotation they are currently on, barging into a room while another candidate is interviewing, and more. Those are just some of worst ones I have seen or heard about.

I have a lot of friends in residency and fellowships. There is definitely not a shortage of "unrankable" candidates.

Who orders alcohol on a residency interview? I almost wanted to applaud them.

1. I saw a girl dressed in a professional, button-down blouse, black slacks and flats. Do you think not wearing a suit jacket would count against her?
2. I'm pregnant, but some people may think I'm just fat, would that make me "un-rankable"?

It sounds sad, but when you see interviews from the other side, what's really sad is how some people actually managed to get an on site interview. I have heard about and have seen residency candidates interview in gym shoes, interview with terrible and distracting posture (female in a skirt sitting like a guy with legs wide open), giving a 30 minute presentation about your childhood for a scheduled 10 minute 'tell me about your pharmacy experience', falling asleep during the interview lunch, ordering alcohol during lunch, bad body odor as if slept in a dumpster the night before, asking the residency director what rotation they are currently on, barging into a room while another candidate is interviewing, and more. Those are just some of worst ones I have seen or heard about.

I have a lot of friends in residency and fellowships. There is definitely not a shortage of "unrankable" candidates.

Who orders alcohol on a residency interview? I almost wanted to applaud them.

This is just so interesting to me because I thought most people would at least fake being cool and professional during the interview! I'm sorry you had to experience some of this!

It sounds like the "unrankable" candidates are people who do things that stand out as bad (like ordering alcohol during the interview, at least wait until afterward omg), not so much some slightly awkward conversations or not connecting as well with one group compared to another?

1. I saw a girl dressed in a professional, button-down blouse, black slacks and flats. Do you think not wearing a suit jacket would count against her?
2. I'm pregnant, but some people may think I'm just fat, would that make me "un-rankable"?

1. I wouldn't consider this the only determining factor to being unrankable. I think it would probably count against her but is by no means a deal breaker.
2. I almost don't want to answer this because I can't decide if you're insinuating that overweight people are "unrankable" or pregnant people are "unrankable." Neither would make you "unrankable" - but programs may consider your ability to balance residency activities with a newborn. But I think it's actually illegal to not consider someone for a job solely because of their pregnancy status (don't quote me on that though).

the decision not to rank someone is typically based on more than one outstanding thing. Even if there is one "big" thing (such as the person ordering alcohol), they likely had other smaller issues throughout the interview.

to contribute,
Lower ranked candidates - too casual with interviewers, not actually answering the questions asked (we ask them in order to assess specific things - we can't assess those things if you don't answer the question :)).
Higher ranked candidates - ask us thoughtful questions, aren't overbearing, vibe well with the people, are composed and professional

Also please for the love of god, do not have typos in your presentations, and do not schedule travel too close to the end of the interview.

2. I almost don't want to answer this because I can't decide if you're insinuating that overweight people are "unrankable" or pregnant people are "unrankable." Neither would make you "unrankable" - but programs may consider your ability to balance residency activities with a newborn. But I think it's actually illegal to not consider someone for a job solely because of their pregnancy status (don't quote me on that though).

Sorry, I phrased this wrong. I have noticed that most female residents are thin and attractive by American societal standards. I may be overthinking things but, I have this overwhelming fear that because I don't look like the "typical" resident I will not match. Btw, I will have a full-time sitter and supportive spouse, hence the only reason I'm going through the match.

Sorry, I phrased this wrong. I have noticed that most female residents are thin and attractive by American societal standards. I may be overthinking things but, I have this overwhelming fear that because I don't look like the "typical" resident I will not match. Btw, I will have a full-time sitter and supportive spouse, hence the only reason I'm going through the match.

You are way overthinking it.

Yes, some people can get by thanks to looks and personality. You guarantee you won’t match if you aren’t even confident in yourself. Don’t compare yourself to others. If you have skills, knowledge, and personality, who cares if you’re the smoking hot 10/10 (man or woman). Thinking you are lacking in an area is just an excuse. No one is perfect and everyone has flaws. Cover your flaws as best you can and showcase your strengths. And demonstrate some passion and pride in your interests and achievements. Good conversational skills is key.

Reactions: 1 users
looks have ( or at least should have ) zero impact on a rank list - when it comes to listing attributes that I want in a resident - that doesn't even hit the radar. There is no "typical" resident look - at least at my program I haven't seen any. We interview 24 residents for 4 spots - the do not rank list has varied from 0 to 6 - just depends on the luck of the draw