Rank List Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

0919mmk

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I have a somewhat basic question for an upperclassman. When 4th years say that they have ranked a given program, does that mean that they interviewed there? I was looking at the Charting Outcomes document, and in several specialties, people appear to rank 15-20 programs. Did they really go to 20 interviews, or can you rank places where you didn't interview?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all, I have a somewhat basic question for an upperclassman. When 4th years say that they have ranked a given program, does that mean that they interviewed there? I was looking at the Charting Outcomes document, and in several specialties, people appear to rank 15-20 programs. Did they really go to 20 interviews, or can you rank places where you didn't interview?

You can rank any program you want to, but you will (probably) only be ranked by the programs you interview at.

I see - so when ortho residents say that they ranked like 85 programs, does that mean that they were just throwing away application fees on 70 of them? That seems crazy...

Members don't see this ad :)
I see - so when ortho residents say that they ranked like 85 programs, does that mean that they were just throwing away application fees on 70 of them? That seems crazy...

You don't have to pay a dime to rank a program. You don't even have to apply to the programs you rank.

However, the residency programs will not rank anybody they don't interview, so it's just stupid to do so.

I applied to 60 programs (average for ENT), went on 15 interviews, ranked 15.

Ortho residents probably applied to that many programs, but didn't rank that many.

I applied to 19 programs, went on 10 interviews, and ranked 10 programs. People generally recommend that you rank each program you interview at, unless you'd rather not match than go to that program.

Reactions: 1 user
You don't have to pay a dime to rank a program. You don't even have to apply to the programs you rank.

However, the residency programs will not rank anybody they don't interview, so it's just stupid to do so.

I applied to 60 programs (average for ENT), went on 15 interviews, ranked 15.

You actually do have to pay a little extra if you go above a certain number, but it's a big one and would only come into play during the couples match.

Agree with the rest. You rank the places you interviewed unless there are unique circumstances (a home program or sub-I, for example). Whoever told the OP they ranked 80 programs either: 1) used the wrong terminology or 2) couples matched (and still used the wrong term---should be 80 combinations).

I agree...don't rank if you don't get an interview. I went on 20 interviews (1/2 prelim, 1/2 derm) and ranked each one. It was hard enough doing that without ranking some random programs in.