ranked vs unranked waitlist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scotchtape

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know the difference between a ranked vs unranked waitlist? I know what a ranked waitlist is, but how do you accept people if the waitlist is unranked? Is it by date of interview or something?

Members don't see this ad.

From what I have gathered I think on the ranked waitlist if someone withdraws they just go down the waitlist from 1-X untill the class is filled. For unranked I think they try to fill spots with the "type" of person who withdraws. Good luck. What school are you thinking about?

Thanks,
AECOM is the school I am waiting on.

Apparently I am on the 'favorably reviewed' pile.
I was hoping it just goes down the list according to when they interviewed. I feel like I was one of the first few people to be put in this pile, since I haven't heard of anyone who interviewed after me getting an acceptance and I don't know of anyone who interviewed before me getting a 'favorably reviewed' letter. The adcom for AECOM said that my letter meant I got in, but the class is full and they are just waiting for other people to withdraw. I interviewed around January 20th.