Ranking number 1 email - help pls

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jada99

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I sent an I am ranking you number 1 letter and I have changed my mind. How bad is it to not rank them 1 after sending the letter. Any damage control at this point? and do I send a letter to the program that I am actually ranking number 1 letting them know that?

Members don't see this ad.

So I sent an I am ranking you number 1 letter and I have changed my mind. How bad is it to not rank them 1 after sending the letter. Any damage control at this point? and do I send a letter to the program that I am actually ranking number 1 letting them know that?
aPD (who is...you know...a PD) has answered this question many times. The vast majority of people who send "I will rank you #1" letters match elsewhere, even when ranked to match. So a program who is hanging their entire rank list on your email deserves what they get (which is somebody who didn't lie to them...which is actually better).

TL;DR...do whatever you want, it will make virtually no difference.

aPD (who is...you know...a PD) has answered this question many times. The vast majority of people who send "I will rank you #1" letters match elsewhere, even when ranked to match. So a program who is hanging their entire rank list on your email deserves what they get (which is somebody who didn't lie to them...which is actually better).

Hmm...interesting. I thought the programs print and save copies of these emails and present them to the NRMP as evidence if they end up with unmatched spots!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm...interesting. I thought the programs print and save copies of these emails and present them to the NRMP as evidence if they end up with unmatched spots!
You can't be serious. Excuse me if I missed the <sarcasm> tags.

It sounds no different than what some program directors do where they send out love messages that they will "rank to match" but the applicant ends up not matching there despite ranking the school #1

If a program ranks you high and you rank them lets say third. Assuming you don't match in your first 2, would you lose that program for someone who ranked them higher but was ranked lower by the program?

If a program ranks you high and you rank them lets say third. Assuming you don't match in your first 2, would you lose that program for someone who ranked them higher but was ranked lower by the program?
No.

Do a search for "Match Algorithm and aProgDirector" to find several excellent explanations of how it all works.

I met this girl last weekend, she was totally into me and gave me her phone number at the end of the night.

Strangely, when I called it, it was some pizza place.

Maybe she works at the pizza place?

Is such an email typically directed ONLY to the Program Director? It is wise to also cc your interviewer?

Is such an email typically directed ONLY to the Program Director? It is wise to also cc your interviewer?

PD should be more than enough. Doesn't move you from where you will be originally ranked. If were going to be ranked 250 before the email, just because you are ranking them #1 is not going to move you to top 10. Just saying. No real downside to sending the email though