Ranking question...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TPBC

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
If I'm applying to two different residency programs, program A and program B, and rank them 1 and 2 respectively, but did not match in my first choice (program A ranked #1), would my chances of matching into program B be affected at all by me ranking it #2 instead of #1?

To clarify, I know that program B is highly desirable with let's say 20 positions. So, if 30 people ranked it #1, and the program ranked me as #18 (but I ranked program B as #2), would I match into program B? In other words, if program A does not rank me, would my ranking of program B as #1 or #2 have any affect on me matching into program B?

(I did a search but couldn't find exactly the same situation)

Members don't see this ad.

No. The explanation on the nrmp web site goes over this.

If Program A fills before they reach your name on their rank list, your #2 program becomes your #1. If that program still has a spot available when they reach your name on the rank list, you will be placed there as if they were your first choice all along. That's why it's most beneficial to the applicant to rank programs according to your actual preference rather than according to where you think you might be placed on their rank list.

Reactions: 1 user
(I did a search but couldn't find exactly the same situation)

This same situation has been asked, and explained, innumerable times. Unless of course by "exact" you meant that in your hypothetical scenario you used 20 positions, where as others in the past have used 3, or 5, or 50.

Rank the programs in the order you prefer them. Do not attempt to game the match.