Ranking Residencies PMR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JmacJax

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’d be curious to hear from anyone at the top residency programs for PMR, why they chose it, and how their program is preparing them for outpatient practice, sports medicine, or pain/spine practice. I finished interviewing at some top programs and don’t have many ties to any of the locations. I’m struggling to rank or distinguish. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

"tiers" dont really mean much unless you are interested in academics post residency. Even then they probably dont matter much. I don't even know how you would define "top tier" anyways. You are going to get good training pretty much anywhere you go. If you are dead set on fellowship (I caution you because people often change their mind), pick a residency that has an in house fellowship. Programs typically take at least one of their own if they are a decent candidate. Rank the programs based on culture and feel. Location should be a huge factor. Residency is 4 years, rank the places in cities you want to live. The rest doesnt really matter

Reactions: 1 user
Went to Mayo. Hard to imagine a better education, especially regarding outpatient. Our residents didn’t just go to fellowship...they essentially did what they wanted, where they wanted to do it. The research opportunities were honestly unfair. Unreal conference policy. Many just went into practice because the residency was tough to improve upon. The culture was exceptional. The life work balance was also exceptional, especially considering our patient complexity. Lots of support and processes in place to make our lives more efficient and enjoyable.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Rank based on what program(s) will get you where you need to be in 5 years.

The name of a program can definitely carry you far, but you have (or may want) to balance that with what skills you actually learn. Maybe you want research, maybe you don't. Definitely needs both inpatient and outpatient experience, because you never know. If you need a tiebreaker, then look at quality of life.

Location is all relative. Some people want to be in a big city. Some people want to be in the middle of nowhere.

Reactions: 1 users
If anyone went to Spaulding, Wash, UPMC, CO or Utah I’d love to hear from you! Drop me a message please!

Reactions: 1 user
Agree with above recommendation, look 5-10 years out after residency, will it give you the connections to desired fellowship, well known physiatrist leaders in the field, the breadth of diverse learning experiences, avoid residencies that treat the residents like a pack mule, just a beast of burden to make life easier for lazy unmotivated attending physicians who have no interest in teaching