RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am now worried/moderately panicking because my doctor (the nurse, actually) called me and told me that my chest x-ray had "non-specific abnormalities" on it, and they are waiting on the bloodwork. I have been having breathing problems for 6 months and after the student health center blew me off and told me it was "in my head" I went to see a real M.D. Now I get to sit and obsess about it, and hope like hell that it is nothing completely monstrous.

Members don't see this ad.

Waiting SUCKs. I had a rough day at work with the influx of holiday boarders and baths. My job makes me depressed when I think about how little I use my academic brain day-to-day...in need of new stimulus.

Is it just me or does there seem to be an influx of one time post braggers this year? Bugger off I already feel like poo.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it just me or does there seem to be an influx of one time post braggers this year? Bugger off I already feel like poo.
I have a sneaking suspicion it's just us. Then again, they are doing a bit more rubbing it in our faces this year with the gushing and back and forth congrats in the invite/acceptance threads. I feel like the crusty old guy who screams at kids to get off his lawn.

I want everyone to get in, I really do! I'd just like to get in too....
The green monster of jealousy makes it very hard to see the multi-invite crowd patting themselves on the back.

Then again, they are doing a bit more rubbing it in our faces this year with the gushing and back and forth congrats in the invite/acceptance threads. I feel like the crusty old guy who screams at kids to get off his lawn.

I want everyone to get in, I really do! I'd just like to get in too....
The green monster of jealousy makes it very hard to see the multi-invite crowd patting themselves on the back.
You will be one of those kids playing on the lawn when you get an invite and/or acceptance. That is part of the fun of SDN. Congratulate the success, encourage those in the process, and support those who are struggling or didn't make it.

I don't think it is any different this year, and I don't think it is something that should be discouraged.

That is part of the fun of SDN. Congratulate the success, encourage those in the process, and support those who are struggling or didn't make it.

I don't think it is any different this year, and I don't think it is something that should be discouraged.
I think this part gets left off too much.

I don't mean to discourage the congratulations posting - what I was getting at are the back and forths about a specific school in the interview or acceptance thread that go on for 5 or more posts. I've had an interview invite, got one last year, and you know what? I did play on the lawn, but in the thread for that school and the rave thread. I guess it's my organizing side "everything in it's place"...

I have a sneaking suspicion it's just us. .

It must be that phenomena when you get a new red car and everyone now has the same new red car as you.

I don't mind lawn playing either, I just don't like it when strange dogs come in and take a dump on my lawn.

Bitter- slightly. Going to get over it- yes. Round two I guess is always hard to take, the prospect of round three is even harder.

It's Thanksgiving and I'm in Canada, 1200 miles from everyone I love. My motivation has been hiding the past couple of days, too, while I fret about going home and not being home and homehomehome. And I'm getting the munchies which is not good for my diet.

:thumbdown:

It's Thanksgiving and I'm in Canada, 1200 miles from everyone I love. My motivation has been hiding the past couple of days, too, while I fret about going home and not being home and homehomehome. And I'm getting the munchies which is not good for my diet.

Meh, it is the holidays. Diets have to take a vacation sometime too. Hope you can make yourself some mashed potatoes or something so you don't feel lonely.

mm i can sort of empathize. i hate being so far (2000 mi) from everyone i love, but i feel like my saving grace is that a) it still looks and feels like summer out. it's very hard to get into the holiday spirit when you're still convinced it's august and b) we have no time off this week for the holiday (and as much as i'd love a day or two off, not having time off does wonders for being in the motivation mind set).

my solutions to munchies are lots of gum, bland crackers (not likely to go back for seconds and thirds! haha) and not keeping delicious foods in my kitchen (which i have not been as good about lately)

My solution to the munchies is walking up to the store and buying hella chips and pop tarts and stuff. But I'm guessing you don't have the munchies for the same reason I usually do and are actually in a rational frame of mind where you can actually restrain yourself. :smuggrin:

Happy thanksgiving, all.

I hope you don't take my posts as obsessive or rude. I really do want everyone to hear good news. I'm sorry I stepped all over the forum's toes.

FTB, I know I grieved with you last spring when you realized it just wasn't your year. We're all pulling for you this year. I know it might be hard but things will get better!

Members don't see this ad :)
I have never had migraines before but today is the fifth day in a row that I am stuck with one. The pain will dull to the point of a dull headache but then within a few hours it will be back to a pounding headache complete with wanting to do nothing more than lay in the complete dark silence. I am really hoping that these headaches/migraines/whatever they are go away soon. I have to work tomorrow and with it being the day after Thanksgiving it is likely going to be very busy.

I only have a PT job as well
For Direct Loans, since I work fewer than 30 hours, I can get unemployment deferment possibly. Gonna work on that now instead of watching movies like I originally planned....:rolleyes:

hope like hell that it is nothing completely monstrous.
Praying & sending you hope, Marsala. Let me (us) know how things go!!! :biglove:

My job makes me depressed when I think about how little I use my academic brain day-to-day...in need of new stimulus.
Amen. Being back in the job market as a post-grad with an anti-science job really made me realize I gotta get back to school. And quick before I get really depressed again.....

That is part of the fun of SDN. Congratulate the success, encourage those in the process, and support those who are struggling or didn't make it.
Can I get an hallejulah? Totes agree with SOV!!

Hope you can make yourself some mashed potatoes or something so you don't feel lonely.
Chocolate chip cookies are good too. I'm in the dieting crew but am such a foodie (hate desserts though!) so I've been drowning myself in liquid calories. Chocolate milk is my beverage of choice (and my skin is revolting in protest. Curse you, pimples...but I WILL keep drinking:laugh:)

FTB, We're all pulling for you this year. I know it might be hard but things will get better!
Same goes for the others re-applying. I'm definitely pulling for you that 2012(2016) will be your year (and mine as well!)

I am really hoping that these headaches/migraines/whatever they are go away soon.
Migraines are the worst. Chronic ones are a step beyond of worst. I'm still trying to figure out how to handle mine....(and not succeeding. Have one for 2 days now....and it's hovering currently. Gotta sleep!):sleep: Try and discover what triggers your headaches/migraines/painful monstrosities..... And if they're stress-related, welcome to my personal hell......

Here it is...the day after Thanksgiving & the day before my birthday...

Pepper's biopsy results: squamous cell carcinoma *sigh*

I've already had New Year's ruined with the death of my beloved Duke in '06, and Christmas ruined with the death of my father-in-law in '08. Is there any special day/holiday that will remain unaffected in my life??

The good news is that neither Dr. T nor the board certified vet dentist we're working with has ever seen a case of SCC this early before. It's very small, localized to the front mandible, no swelling, etc, and he's fairly certain we'll get clear margins. However, he is almost 17 years old, and I just want to know my decision here is what's right for him, not me. I'm leaning towards the resection as he's otherwise acting normally, just slow due to his age. I had his mother, and therefore have had him & his sister since they were born. They've been with me longer than my husband, longer than my youngest child, and been with me through some of the roughest times of my life.

Le sigh....just send me some strength here as I make this difficult decision.

Thanks, I appreciate the kind words. Decision has been made: mandibulectomy on Thursday.

People in my class and the class above mine have apparently been cheating on our open-book, online radiology assessments. They were caught and now we are all being punished by having to take our final (which is actually a midterm) in the computer lab. This means we have to stay in this damn town for another day before we can go home for winter break.

These assessments are seriously super easy...especially since they're open book. My lowest score has been an 8/10. Why people feel the need to jeopardize their professional career for something so ridiculous is beyond me. I'm very displeased.

My rant of the day:

Girl at the bar (I was at dinner with hubby, not boozing it up; that's for Friday night) overhears that I'm applying to vet school and tells me that she "hates to rain on [my] parade" but she has a degree in Biochem and she was "rejected from Penn because [she] didn't have enough tech hours".

If that wasn't bad enough, after I told her that I waited so long to pursue vet med because I put my husband through his PhD program, thankyouverymuch, she said, "Aww...aren't you two cute with your little doctor things!"

Pretty sure I have a bruise on the bottom of my chin because it hit the floor so quickly.

My rant:

1) Its not that I can't handle getting a bad grade on an exam if I haven't put in the time and effort into learning the material. But if I know the material and if I can quote it back to you and argue very fine points with you, my grade better reflect my knowledge. *grumble grumble grumble* And just because you are the Prof, does not make you right!

2) I got a really nasty, unnecessary, email from my boss today, it made me sad. :(

"Aww...aren't you two cute with your little doctor things!"

Haha that is seriously funny and sad at the same time.
Bearby, sorry to hear about your final, that stinks. I hate when a few bad apples spoil it for the rest.

K9Dane - best of luck/wishes. I send you hope!

On a more sour note, I always feel disappointed in myself for some reason when I end up here on this thread with a rant. Sigh.....

[Rant:] I'm tired of people trying to fix me. I finally dragged myself out of the seemingly bottomless pit (no thanks to all of the people who guilted me in the first place) and have my life somewhat on track from the former trainwreck I was headed toward. And people just won't quit. "Be this." "Be that." "Change this." "I'm your friend/parent/sibling/person who loves you so it's fine if I dump this truckload of criticism on you. Cause I'm doing it out of love." SHUT UP ALREADY :mad: I finally molded a tougher exterior and an interior to match. LEAVE ME ALONEEEEE [/rant] I know this is life. But, just mind your own beeswax and focus on fixing your own life. Oh wait, I didn't realize you were perfectly flawless :hungover: (Hai Seasonal Affective Disorder, I haven't missed you!):rolleyes:

....there, I'm really done now. Gonna go blow some money on Cyber Monday. Yay for that...

This isn't really a rant, but I'm a little bummed about it. Just noticed the other day that my betta fish, Starburst, (who I've had for almost 3 years now) has popeye. For some reason, his bowl has been getting dirtier a lot faster than usual, so I'm sure that's the cause of it. Hopefully water changes for the next couple days and some Maracyn will fix him up. Most of the people I know think I'm weird to actually be willing to spend money on medicine for a fish.

I'm still awake (odd) and see that I'm way behind on rants...

Now I get to sit and obsess about it, and hope like hell that it is nothing completely monstrous.

:xf::xf::xf: that things turn out well! Will send good thoughts your way. Try to hang in there best you can.

I am really hoping that these headaches/migraines/whatever they are go away soon.

Hope you're feeling better! Migraines SUCK - been there. As I assume that you've already tried OTC meds without success (Excedrin migraine, etc...) have you called your doctor? Most times, all it takes is one dose of a powerful med to stop the cycle.

Thanks, I appreciate the kind words. Decision has been made: mandibulectomy on Thursday.

Best of luck to Pepper on Thursday. :luck: Will keep good thoughts for an uncomplicated procedure and a speedy/full recovery for your furry friend.

"Aww...aren't you two cute with your little doctor things!"

Pretty sure I have a bruise on the bottom of my chin because it hit the floor so quickly.

Soop - If you need an extra pair of hands to give this chick a good wooping, let me know. Happy to lend a hand. :slap:

....there, I'm really done now. Gonna go blow some money on Cyber Monday. Yay for that...

Sorry people suck. Hope your retail therapy was helpful. :)

This isn't really a rant, but I'm a little bummed about it. Just noticed the other day that my betta fish, Starburst, (who I've had for almost 3 years now) has popeye. For some reason, his bowl has been getting dirtier a lot faster than usual, so I'm sure that's the cause of it. Hopefully water changes for the next couple days and some Maracyn will fix him up. Most of the people I know think I'm weird to actually be willing to spend money on medicine for a fish.

Hope the little guy feels better soon! And you're not weird... I once took a dwarf African frog in for an x-ray. You should have seen the looks I got for that one! :laugh:

Most of the people I know think I'm weird to actually be willing to spend money on medicine for a fish.

Apparently, there was a lady who brought her ancient goldfish into Tufts for radiation therapy to zap out a tumor it had grown. If I remember correctly, it never woke up from anesthesia after radiation therapy ROUND 2!!! I have no idea how costly that must have been...

So taking things into perspective, a little medicine here or there is really not that weird!

I kept bettas for like 6 years and did a lot of research of them. If you're in need of some advice, PM me. I stopped keeping them when I realized that I was too busy for even weekly water changes. My last boy got popeye. I felt really bad and did not get another one when he passed away. Since then, I have been holding out until I can set up a filtered tank and do it properly. Unfiltered tanks are a PAIN to upkeep. Good luck. :luck:.

On the subject of fish medicine, we euthed a goldfish with a tumor who was living at our clinic. It got to the point where he was not eating so I had the honour of holding him down while the vet did the deed.

Unfiltered tanks are a PAIN to upkeep.

YES. Ughhh. I never knew goldfish would make such a mess. I do love my fishy though. He knows how to beg for food and he's just too cute. First and only fish I've ever liked. I guess because he's mine. Hahaha.

I kept bettas for like 6 years and did a lot of research of them. If you're in need of some advice, PM me. I stopped keeping them when I realized that I was too busy for even weekly water changes. My last boy got popeye. I felt really bad and did not get another one when he passed away. Since then, I have been holding out until I can set up a filtered tank and do it properly. Unfiltered tanks are a PAIN to upkeep. Good luck. :luck:.

On the subject of fish medicine, we euthed a goldfish with a tumor who was living at our clinic. It got to the point where he was not eating so I had the honour of holding him down while the vet did the deed.

That's my problem right now. He's been living in a 1 gal fish bowl since I got him and has been fine for the most part. I'm usually pretty on top of the water changes. However, ever since I briefly moved him upstairs when we had company visiting, his water has been getting a film on it rather quickly. At first I thought it might have been due to a few extra drops of the water conditioner since it helps provide the slime coating but I guess not. I'm just hoping I caught it earlier enough that he can pull through. I had two other betta's die from horrible fungal/bacterial infections ( my female even developed a swim bladder issue towards the end) that I didn't catch in time, so I'm hoping I can at least spare him that.

I kept unfiltered 1 gallon tanks for a while. A 100% water change should be done roughly every 5-7 days, which some people are unaware of. Partial water changes will not get rid of all of the crud an ammonia which can accumulate over time. And in an unfiltered tank, despite the popular belief, there is no community of bacteria that will help deal with that issue.

Filtered tanks are "cycled", which means that the bacteria has been established so that it can convert ammonia to nitrite to nitrate (nitrate is the least harmful of the 3). You can cycle with fish or without. Without is more humane, because your ammonia and nitrite levels will spike during the process, which damages your fish. I have done a few fishless cycles. They take roughly a month. First, you add pure, unscented ammonia to the tank until it hits about 5 ppm (even 0.1ppm is harmful to fish). Over time, you will see the ammonia levels drop as those bacteria are being established, so you keep adding ammonia so that keep it around 5ppm. As your ammonia starts to drop, you will notice the nitrite levels start to rise (nitrite is also harmful at 0.1ppm). Nitrite levels will reach a peak. The bacteria responsible for converting nitrite to nitrate will start to become established. Nitrite levels will fall and you will see nitrate levels begin to rise (nitrate levels are fine for fish up until about 20 ppm). When your nitrate levels rise, you do a water change and it is safe to add fish. When you do regular water changes in a filtered tank, you are keeping the nitrate levels low. When you neglect water changes in a filtered tank, you will see ammonia levels and nitrite levels rise as well as the nitrate.

Ahem.

Small bowls can go to crap quickly. I had a 2.25 gallon tank which I did 100% water changes on every 7-10 days. The only time I let it get to day 12 was the time my fish got popeye.

The ideal situation for someone who does not want to do massive water changes very often is to filter a 5 gallon tank. I kept a betta in a cycled 5 gallon tank and I was doing 10% water changes weekly, which is a lot less messy than 100% water changes weekly. With 100% water changes, you have to make sure the water you add is roughly the same temperature and you have to float the fish before adding him back so he does not get stressed out.

If you do not have a heater, I suggest you get one. You may be able to find ones suitable for small bowls, but I have used heaters ment for 5 gallons in a 1 gallon with no problem. Keeping the temperature between 78 and 80 is less stressful on the fish and will make him less susceptible to illness. Also, adding a teaspoon or less of aquarium salt (do not use salt with iodine) helps with healing and prevention of illness.

Also, when it doubt, get an ammonia test kit. At any sign of ammonia, you know you are over-do for a change. It may help you establish whether weekly water changes are appropriate or if you have to change it more or less frequently.

Speaking of goldfish, I always thought they were pretty cool. But since the rule of thumb is 15 gallons for the first fish and 10 gallons for each additional fish, I never had the room or the budget to keep them.

I'm still awake (odd) and see that I'm way behind on rants...
Sorry people suck. Hope your retail therapy was helpful. :)

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is why I love "strangers" (read: people I have yet to meet in person). They care about me. And they haven't had the chance to judge my appearance yet :laugh:

Hugs to LMMS - and all the poor schmucks out there who have it really bad! (I thought of all the things that I am truly grateful. It did wonders for my mood. Now, if I could only stop getting in arguments. I'm going to be mute. That's it!:idea: But, then people will call me lame, shy, anti-social...not like I haven't gotten those insults before:D)

^^ with regards to fish - all excellent advice. Was just about to post the same thing. I keep my betta and 2 ottos in a heated, filtered 5g tank and they do wonderfully. I also have it heavily planted, so I essentially almost never have to do a large water change. Natural plants are lifesavers.

That's my problem right now. He's been living in a 1 gal fish bowl since I got him and has been fine for the most part. I'm usually pretty on top of the water changes. However, ever since I briefly moved him upstairs when we had company visiting, his water has been getting a film on it rather quickly. At first I thought it might have been due to a few extra drops of the water conditioner since it helps provide the slime coating but I guess not. I'm just hoping I caught it earlier enough that he can pull through. I had two other betta's die from horrible fungal/bacterial infections ( my female even developed a swim bladder issue towards the end) that I didn't catch in time, so I'm hoping I can at least spare him that.

I would hold off on antibiotics. Very few have been consistently effective in piscine species, and the OTC ones are soooo hard to properly dose (plus, since you usually don't know what species of bacteria you are dealing with, you don't know which one to choose). Internal meds (i.e. medicated food) are better, but can be hard to dose as well. I find the best cure for almost anything is a ton of water changes - as in almost daily 100% changes until the problem goes away. Clean water makes a huge difference.

^^ with regards to fish - all excellent advice. Was just about to post the same thing. I keep my betta and 2 ottos in a heated, filtered 5g tank and they do wonderfully. I also have it heavily planted, so I essentially almost never have to do a large water change. Natural plants are lifesavers.

I have so much fish knowledge stuck in my brain that I like to share the wealth whenever it seems needed.

I never had luck with planted tanks. The only thing I got to grow was java moss. :rolleyes:. Then again, it was difficult for me to get the appropriate plants and materials where I lived. One day, I would like to have a huge theme tank and do it properly with live plants and fish from a similar area.

(I am surprised this does not count as medical advice! Shhh.)

How can one man be so supremely irritating?? My lit professor writes the same comments on all my papers, no matter how I try to change them. He forgets when assignments are due or even denies assigning papers. He comes to class to talk about a novel he admits to forgetting much of, having not read it in years. Doesn't even remember the names of the main characters!

And I'm paying for this???

I have so much fish knowledge stuck in my brain that I like to share the wealth whenever it seems needed.

I never had luck with planted tanks. The only thing I got to grow was java moss. :rolleyes:. Then again, it was difficult for me to get the appropriate plants and materials where I lived. One day, I would like to have a huge theme tank and do it properly with live plants and fish from a similar area.

(I am surprised this does not count as medical advice! Shhh.)
You should come to Penn and study fish immunology. I have the perfect professor for you. He is quite the "peacock" as well.

Another bout of diarrhea for Ella. Fortunately, unlike the last couple of times, she doesn't have to go urgently every hour and she is her normal self aside from the diarrhea. I'm going to try and get her to the vet this weekend (on top of my S&F final) and see if a bland diet might help clear things up. But with it becoming such a chronic thing, I'm wondering if it isn't IBD or something. Sigh.

My rant of the day:

Girl at the bar (I was at dinner with hubby, not boozing it up; that's for Friday night) overhears that I'm applying to vet school and tells me that she "hates to rain on [my] parade" but she has a degree in Biochem and she was "rejected from Penn because [she] didn't have enough tech hours".

If that wasn't bad enough, after I told her that I waited so long to pursue vet med because I put my husband through his PhD program, thankyouverymuch, she said, "Aww...aren't you two cute with your little doctor things!"

She's just jealous because she's a) such a snot that she's alone in this world and b) she didn't have the perseverance to keep chasing her dream of getting into vet school after one bump in the road probably because she's always had everything handed to her...

People like her are truly sad. I hope you just smiled at her and went about your business. Don't give that little troll a second thought!

The mere mention of a much needed vaca with my sister and my stupid furnace breaks!! I literally mentioned the trip on Friday and the furnace died Sunday night. Now, my vacation fund will be spent replacing the motor to the tune of $500 smackaroos.... :bang:

I'm really tired of being a homeowner! Instead of an asset, in this economy, owning a home has become more like having a 10,000 pound anchor around my neck! :wtf:

The mere mention of a much needed vaca with my sister and my stupid furnace breaks!! I literally mentioned the trip on Friday and the furnace died Sunday night. Now, my vacation fund will be spent replacing the motor to the tune of $500 smackaroos.... :bang:

I'm really tired of being a homeowner! Instead of an asset, in this economy, owning a home has become more like having a 10,000 pound anchor around my neck! :wtf:
One of the precise reasons why I still rent! Although, at least your money is not going down the toilet as is mine... :thumbdown:

One of the precise reasons why I still rent! Although, at least your money is not going down the toilet as is mine... :thumbdown:

Mine too. Although some of that is simply salary issues (I would kill to be DINK like many of my colleagues), and also the fact that I hope to get the hell out of dodge after residency to someplace I actually somewhat ENJOY living....so what would be the point in buying one here, I tell myself.

I have friends that swear by natural plants; but I steer clear. I got natural plants once... Ended up with a snail infestation! Little bastards clogged the filter before I even knew what was going on.

Maddie, that BLOWS! I am soooo sorry; but thanks for providing me with yet another reason to stay amongst the renting community! Although when the heat goes out you have to hope that your landlord gives a damn...

I have friends that swear by natural plants; but I steer clear. I got natural plants once... Ended up with a snail infestation! Little bastards clogged the filter before I even knew what was going on.

If you want to avoid snails, you can try keeping the plants in a separate aquarium/bowl for a few weeks, removing any snails that you see. Once you feel comfortable that there are no more showing up, transfer the plants.

This is a common quarantine technique for introducing new specimens and live rock to an established reef tank. You really will appreciate the tank more with live plants, plus they can help address your nitrate issues.

The funny thing is in reef tanks, you BUY snails to help keep algae in check.

Mine too. Although some of that is simply salary issues (I would kill to be DINK like many of my colleagues), and also the fact that I hope to get the hell out of dodge after residency to someplace I actually somewhat ENJOY living....so what would be the point in buying one here, I tell myself.

Yeah, I'm definitely not planning to stay where I am either... our time will come! And yes, some definite DINK time would be freakin awesome. :thumbup:

Were they like the snail in my profile picture? Physa sp. are a pain that way. They are so adorable when they are sucking glass though.
They also like to commit snail suicide. Whenever I did snail collections for my thesis, I would have to find a way to keep their cup covered or else they would crawl out and dry out.

I got the flu mist vaccine from my boyfriend's Aunt (an OB/GYN) on Thanksgiving. She tells me "make sure to get plenty of sleep and stay relatively inactive tomorrow, this is a live attenuated virus." So I'm like "yeah, yeah, sure, sure." Go to work at 7:30am for the next two days and by Saturday night...I have the flu. I've been pretty much in bed for the past 3 days :sleep:.

What a waste of a vaccine I am. Guess I should have heeded the Doc's warnings. Good news: I made it to the shower today, so things are looking up. Just hope I'm well enough to go back to work tomorrow morning. I forgot how much the flu sucks!

I got the flu mist vaccine from my boyfriend's Aunt (an OB/GYN) on Thanksgiving. She tells me "make sure to get plenty of sleep and stay relatively inactive tomorrow, this is a live attenuated virus." So I'm like "yeah, yeah, sure, sure." Go to work at 7:30am for the next two days and by Saturday night...I have the flu. I've been pretty much in bed for the past 3 days :sleep:.

What a waste of a vaccine I am. Guess I should have heeded the Doc's warnings. Good news: I made it to the shower today, so things are looking up. Just hope I'm well enough to go back to work tomorrow morning. I forgot how much the flu sucks!

I always got sick after my vaccines (my stepmom made me get 2 in high school)... I haven't gotten one in over 10 years... and haven't had the flu in about that long either... either the two vaccines I got, gave me enough antibodies/memory cells to void it off for over 10 years, or my immune system is strong enough without it hahaha

I hope you feel better soon!!!!

If it makes you feel any better, I'll be spending my entire tax refund on a completely new A/C & heater system (including ducts, insulation, etc) in February. I have to completely gut the old one and put in all new everything... $10,000 later!! bah!

Although, having such a nice tax refund at the end of the year definitely makes owning a home fantastic :) hehehe