RDH returning for DS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

n2teef

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So finally going for it (at least I think I am..) after practicing hygiene for 12 years. I graduated with a B.S in Dental Hygiene in 2002.
I have so many questions but I think first would be the obvious- what doI need pre-req wise to get myself ready to apply. I'm wondering if my RDH license/B.S.Dental hygiene degree warrants any kind of 'grandfathering' in of my previous science credits or if I have to start completely over? As it stands, I already know I'm needing Organic chem,Biochem and physics...just not sure on the rest.
Also, I've noticed many schools make a point to put how important it is to attend U instead of cc and that a 'full load' looks like you are more serious. Well, would they consider me 'serious' if I'm working FT, a mother to 4 children and taking classes at a cc??!

tia

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Pre-reqs are pre-reqs. You'll need two semesters with labs for the following courses: General Biology, General Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, and Physics. You will also want to take a Biochemistry lecture.

I have never heard of any sort of exceptions as you are alluding to.

Certainly a university is favorable, but community college credits are accepted by the vast majority of schools.

I have taken Gen Chem with lab, micro + lab, human bio +lab, a and p I and II with labs, Psych, Sociology, gerontology, Statistics and more that are degree specific such as Histology and Embryology, Head and Neck Anatomy, Pharmacology,Tooth Morphology etc.
I guess I'm curious if they have all 'expired' even though I did obtain a degree..

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
My best advice is to get in touch with specific schools that you are interested in and ask about their policies. For instance OHSU won't even look at the chemistry class that I took at community college three years ago, but they are fine with the chemistry class I took as an undergrad in 1994. Other schools are fine with some CC credit.

Your degree will work, but most schools want to see that you can still handle challenging course load. I don't think that working full time and taking 1 or 2 courses at CC would show it. However, you may want to contact specific schools you're interested in and ask them.

Thanks everyone. :) I certainly have a lot of researching to do. Exciting stuff though!

Each school lists their prereqs on their website so look them up. If you have questions about "grandfathering" then call admissions.

We are a private practice with 4 doctor and 9 hygienists. Our female doctor practiced hygiene for 13 years before applying to dental school. She finished most of her pre Reqs at a CC but then transferred to UF to finish the rest. She is now a VERY successful GD! GOODLUCK! You got this!

Reactions: 1 users
I do believe that there is an expiration date on classes taken that long ago. Someone here might be able to confirm this more than me.

U S C has no expiration. You might want to check again.

I think there is an expiration date for some schools, like 10 years. But this depends on the school. I am also an RDH applying for D-school this cycle and I have retaken a lot of classes since I graduated 10 years ago.

I am also seeking a second career after taking the same pre-reqs for another professional program. Among the schools I was originally interested in (25-30), only one had a strict policy on pre-reqs expiring after 5 years, and one other recommended pre-reqs be no longer than 10 years old. I think the former was Loma Linde, and I don't remember which one was the ladder. But this should be an indication that most schools won't have an expiration policy. Good luck!