Re-Applicant School Choice Advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nebuchadnezzarII

CALI born and raised.
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I'll be re-applying this year with some more clinical experience and some new science classes. I did not get in during the 2014-2015 cycle. The schools which I put a (R) next to are the ones I'm reapplying to. Is the following a good list of schools? Is it broad enough? I'm a resident of NY. Thanks very much to everyone. Good luck to all!

Sci GPA: 3.26
Overall GPA: 3.57
MCAT: 34

-Albany Medical College
-Boston University
-Drexel
-Jefferson
-Penn State
-Howard University
-SUNY Downstate (R)
-SUNY Upstate (R)
-SUNY Buffalo (R)
-SUNY Stonybrook (R)
-New York Medical College (R)
-Mount Sinai (R)
-Hofstra (R)
-Columbia P&S (R)
-Weil Cornell Medical College (R)
-Albert Einstein (R)
-NYU (R)
-Tufts (R)
-George Washington University(R)

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your SGPA is well below the 10th%ile for nearly all MD schools, even your state schools.

You'll have far better luck with DO schools.
Thanks Goro. I am apply to a few DO schools I like as well. There's a new one in New York that recently opened up and I've spoken to an admissions officer from that school. She was very encouraging about me applying there. However, I would like to go to a MD school because there are certain countries that don't recognize the DO degree. Are my chances really that low for MD schools? Should I not even try? My counselor felt that my rejection was due to my young age more than my low grades (I applied during my 3rd/4th year of college). She said other students from my school, with comparable stats and more clinical experience after graduation, were successful.

If that's your photo in your avatar, I suggest that you change it for anonymity's sake.
Thank you! But that's not me. That's just a funny guy from a television series.

Thanks Goro. I am apply to a few DO schools I like as well. There's a new one in New York that recently opened up and I've spoken to an admissions officer from that school. She was very encouraging about me applying there. However, I would like to go to a MD school because there are certain countries that don't recognize the DO degree. Are my chances really that low for MD schools? Should I not even try? My counselor felt that my rejection was due to my young age more than my low grades (I applied during my 3rd/4th year of college). She said other students from my school, with comparable stats and more clinical experience after graduation, were successful.

If you were 20 when you applied, it wasn't your age.
At a minimum, delete Howard, Columbia, Cornell, Sinai and NYU.
Consider MCW, Creighton, SLU, Chicago Med and Loyola instead.

Reactions: 1 user
Do you live in a lucky state like TX, FL or LA. Most MD schools the effective floor for sGPA is 3.4. If Orgo is the thing killing the sGPA, but you have As in lots of other science courses, then you might have some luck with the low tier schools.

Invest in MSAR ONline and target schools whose median stats are closest to your own. Pay care attention to the Acceptance information page, and heed gyngyn's wise advice VERY carefully.

Delete Einstein, BU, as well. In fact, if you couldn't get into NYMC, that really says to me that MD schools aren't for you. For DO schools, start with the all the Touros, PCOM, NYITCOM, KCUMB, AT Still, CCOM, AZCOM, LECOM, MUCOM, UNECOM, Western and DMU.

Why not do a post-bac if you really are set on MD. Do well for 1 year and with an Upward trend along with a science GPA that will then be close to 3.4 you can give yourself a realistic shot.

Why not do a post-bac if you really are set on MD. Do well for 1 year and with an Upward trend along with a science GPA that will then be close to 3.4 you can give yourself a realistic shot.
I'm considering it. But money is a bit of an issue for now. My counselor advised me against it.

I'm considering it. But money is a bit of an issue for now. My counselor advised me against it.

Did you get interviews last cycle? Where did you apply

Unless you came close last cycle and got waitlists and didn't apply smartly if your goal is MD I think you gotta do some form of post-bac for the next year(keep in mind do it yourself is also an option).

Did you get interviews last cycle? Where did you apply
I got one interview last cycle. I am currently waitlisted for the school (Mount Sinai), but I don't think there is much hope. I was also an idiot and applied only to a few schools. There were many state schools and I thought I'd have a chance. I did apply early (mid-June). The approximate list of schools I applied to:
Columbia, Cornell, NYU, Mount Sinai, Albert Einstein, Brown, Hofstra, NYMC, SUNY Downstate, SUNY Upstate, SUNY Stonybrook, Tufts....and a couple of others I think. This, in part, was probably a big contribution to the problem. None of those schools are within reach, really. I thought SUNY would cut me some slack, but they didn't. I laugh at it now, but it was a really stupid thing to do. Then again, there are a good number of state schools....but now I see the state schools in NY are very selective as well.

Unless you came close last cycle and got waitlists and didn't apply smartly if your goal is MD I think you gotta do some form of post-bac for the next year(keep in mind do it yourself is also an option).
What do you mean "do it yourself is also an option?" Thanks very much for your input. I really appreciate you taking your time to help me. I mean it.

I got one interview last cycle. I am currently waitlisted for the school (Mount Sinai), but I don't think there is much hope. I was also an idiot and applied only to a few schools. There were many state schools and I thought I'd have a chance. I did apply early (mid-June). The approximate list of schools I applied to:
Columbia, Cornell, NYU, Mount Sinai, Albert Einstein, Brown, Hofstra, NYMC, SUNY Downstate, SUNY Upstate, SUNY Stonybrook, Tufts....and a couple of others I think. This, in part, was probably a big contribution to the problem. None of those schools are within reach, really. I thought SUNY would cut me some slack, but they didn't. I laugh at it now, but it was a really stupid thing to do. Then again, there are a good number of state schools....but now I see the state schools in NY are very selective as well.

What do you mean "do it yourself is also an option?" Thanks very much for your input. I really appreciate you taking your time to help me. I mean it.

Well if you got an interview at a top school like that there might be hope then.

And yes your list last cycle was terrible. There maybe six solid choices on that entire list. But you know what----that's a good thing for you. Apply smartly with a good list this time and I think you can get more II's this time.

DIY post-baccs are you go back to a college and sign up for classes as someone trying to get a second degree(or another classification). It's just like being in college again. You would select upper level science classes your school chooses and if you do well it'll boost your GPA. But if you apply smartly this cycle and apply to DO's as well I don't think that will be necessary.