Re-Application Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
K

kestro012

Z

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Everyone!
This Cycle: ~18 applications, 5 interviews, 4 WLs, currently 1 A (MD only)
-4/5 schools in my region

Does the school you're accepted at have a MD/PhD program? Your best bet would be to transfer into their MD/PhD program as a MS1. I would talk to the PD at your accepted school. I think a majority of MD/PhD programs are willing to take 1-2 people from the MS1 class who show commitment to research.

It's a little unfortunate (can being accepted really be unfortunate?) about your MD-only acceptance. I was in a similar position earlier this cycle before I got off the waitlist at the school I will be attending. I think it is a little bit unfair that some schools accept you to the MD program before a full MD-PhD acceptance. At the time, I was considering reapplying but was told that would be a very poor choice because schools would still see that you were accepted, and the prevailing logic is that if you turn down one acceptance, you generally won't get another one (although I do know someone who turned down an MD/PhD acceptance last year and got several more this cycle). My advice would be to take the MD acceptance and run with it, and try to jump into their MD/PhD program after M1. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than I will be able to give you a better answer.