Re-applying - Is what I did enough?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zswan10

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am re-applying as second rounder to a few schools. I applied to only 10 schools last year as a junior in undergrad in Minnesota and only applied to schools that were around the midwest region that had relatively high out of state acceptance rates. This year I am applying to many of the same schools and adding quite a few more schools to try and increase my odds, and I feel like I've improved my application significantly in many areas. I just am wondering if its enough and what I should realistically be aiming for.

Last round, my cGPA was at 3.65 and my sGPA was at 3.60. I had taken the MCAT really early in January, and only got a 25 (PS-8, VR-7, BS-10) so I re-took it in July because I felt like I was as prepared as I could be and still only a 26 (PS-10, VR-7, BS-9). I had just started volunteering as an EMT at a small local ambulance service and had done plenty of other local volunteering and shadowing throughout college. I was the president of two clubs and a member of the student senate. I was conducting 3 separate individual research projects as well.

This round, I improved my cGPA to 3.73 and sGPA to 3.69, and I graduated with a double major in biochemistry and cell/molecular biology in 3 years. I ended up taking the MCAT a 3rd time and am waiting on scores, but with the extra year of classes, I am confident I didn't score less than a 30 this time. I volunteered almost every weekend for the ambulance and gained a lot more experience, continued shadowing, and expanded on my research projects. I ended up presenting a project at a national conference for ACS. After graduation I gained full time employment conducting research at the University of Minnesota for the Schulze Diabetes Institute.

Does anyone have any honest input into what aspects of my general application I need to work on before I submit it? Or have any advice or insight into what my chances may look like?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

There are only 2 things you need to care about now. You don't have a respectable MCAT score in hand yet, and it's already August. Nothing else is going to matter this year, and there's nothing you can do now.

If your MCAT comes back below 30 and/or you don't break 8 on verbal, just focus on DO schools. Your MCAT card is punched out.

If you haven't yet submitted AMCAS to get your transcripts through review, that would be bad.

Best of luck to you.

I am planning on submitting AMCAS for verification by the end of this week. I am trying to figure out how many schools I should plan on applying to...

Members don't see this ad :)
Apply to one right now. Pick the rest after you get your MCAT score.

Hopefully things are faster now than when I applied, but it used to take 6-8 weeks to get through transcript verification. You're late. Do it tonight.

How severely does it effect chances with submission at this point?

Considering it could take up to two months to get verified, you would be at a severe disadvantage. :/ so either forget this cycle, work on adding more stuff to your activities/experiences and apply next cycle, or do what Dr Midlife suggested. Or you could go the DO route. Unless that mcat score goes up to mid 30s or higher, your previous scores + applying so late would pretty unfairly handicap you given the rest of your application/resume seems pretty awesome

how do you know you didn't score less than a 30 this time? Not accusing, just curious. You scored a 25 and a 26. Improving to 30+ would almost REQUIRE some luck (or poor luck your first two times) unless you didn't study at all for your first two tests and now spent months studying hardcore for this third one. I definitely would not have sent in a late application without knowing my MCAT score, given the fact that you scored below what you wanted TWICE. But good luck! Add some DO schools in case the MCAT isn't what you hoped for.

Secondaries are still offered despite lack of verification in the schools I applied (LSU New Orleans) so it's not "too late" depending on if the university you applied or are planning to apply to follows the same protocol. However, the MCAT is an issue. I think that hurts you more than applying late (that seems to be an exaggerated thing on SDN but maybe Louisiana schools simply are different).