Re-applying to a program after declining offer??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MsAmira

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I would like to know how likely I am to get accepted into a Master's program in psychology after I declined their offer of admission the previous year. Last year the school accepted me with a 50% tuition scholarship but I declined it because I accepted an offer into a clinical program somewhere else. But now due to funding and other issues, I am re-applying to that Master's program. Also, how likely is it that I get accepted with the same type of funding (since it's merit based and my profile hasn't changed much)

Members don't see this ad.

I declined an offer to the program in which I am currently enrolled and they accepted me when I applied again the following year. My experience may not have any bearing on your experience. The only way to know what will happen is to apply again. You have nothing to lose but your application fee.

A former professor told me about a similar experience - they gained admission to a doc program that they originally turned down, after completing a Master's elsewhere. So you've got at least two examples of times it worked out.

Members don't see this ad :)
A former professor told me about a similar experience - they gained admission to a doc program that they originally turned down, after completing a Master's elsewhere. So you've got at least two examples of times it worked out.

Yes, but we all know of someone who _____.

If I were on the admissions committee at that site, I would think about why you declined last year (is the program not "good enough" for you?) but are interested this year. No one wants to feel like a backup option. I would work on justifying the process during any conversations you have with the site, or in your statements.

I didn't do anything additional and did not offer much of a justification. Applied to a PhD program in counseling psych in 2008 and declined offer. Reapplied the following year having done nothing in the interim year and was admitted. I wouldn't worry too much about what they will think. If you want to reapply just reapply and they will either offer you admission or they won't. You will never know unless you apply.

I didn't do anything additional and did not offer much of a justification. Applied to a PhD program in counseling psych in 2008 and declined offer. Reapplied the following year having done nothing in the interim year and was admitted. I wouldn't worry too much about what they will think. If you want to reapply just reapply and they will either offer you admission or they won't. You will never know unless you apply.

I fully disagree. The faculty reviewing the application spent a good deal of time reading over your information. Why simply admit someone who clearly had a reason to decline a year ago?

I fully disagree. The faculty reviewing the application spent a good deal of time reading over your information. Why simply admit someone who clearly had a reason to decline a year ago?

Why not? If they liked her the first time around there's no reason they wouldn't like her the second time around. But I guess everyone's different, and if you were a faculty member and she was applying to your program you would not look favorably upon her application. I would. There are all kinds of reasons someone declines a program. In my case, it was personal and family reasons that precluded me from making a move at that particular time. I hinted at that but did not fully explain my situation. They liked me well enough the first time and had enough ego strength to continue to like me the second time, even though I rejected them.

I'm not sure why anyone would want to argue with the advice to just go ahead and apply. There's no way of knowing what the likelihood is that she would be readmitted, and I believe that was her original question. To me, the most reasonable answer to that question is: go ahead and apply and you will find out. She has nothing to lose by applying and everything to gain.

Why not? If they liked her the first time around there's no reason they wouldn't like her the second time around. But I guess everyone's different, and if you were a faculty member and she was applying to your program you would not look favorably upon her application. I would. There are all kinds of reasons someone declines a program. In my case, it was personal and family reasons that precluded me from making a move at that particular time. I hinted at that but did not fully explain my situation. They liked me well enough the first time and had enough ego strength to continue to like me the second time, even though I rejected them.

It's not necessarily ego strength and hurt feelings that some are considering from the faculty side in this situation. One consideration is that the applicant, for some reason, did not like the site enough the first time. Faculty and programs have to consider the fit of the applicant and their likelihood of finishing the program. Having high rates of attrition do not look good when you come up for your re-accreditation for APA. You have to consider the pragmatic reasons as well.

It's not necessarily ego strength and hurt feelings that some are considering from the faculty side in this situation. One consideration is that the applicant, for some reason, did not like the site enough the first time. Faculty and programs have to consider the fit of the applicant and their likelihood of finishing the program. Having high rates of attrition do not look good when you come up for your re-accreditation for APA. You have to consider the pragmatic reasons as well.

True enough. But consider that many adults, past a certain age, say 45-50, which is well beyond the age bracket that most faculty members in psychology doctoral programs fall into, understand that people have complex lives and make complex decisions based on a large number of factors that do not always reduce to something as simple as "did not like the site enough the first time."

But I do realize it's not just age-related. When I told my undergrad mentor that I was going to decline my program the first time around, she said, "Well of course you will not be able to apply there again." She was 62 at the time, and also dead wrong.

Well, I'm glad that in your anecdote that it worked out for you, and it may well in this case too. But, some faculty/programs will be considering the pragmatics in such cases. These complex decisions also do not simply boil down to "ego strength." We can find anecdotes aplenty on both sides of this, probably a better bet to tell someone that it may well work against them, and it may well not, rather than a rosy, unrealistic picture.

Reactions: 1 users
Well, I'm glad that in your anecdote that it worked out for you, and it may well in this case too. But, some faculty/programs will be considering the pragmatics in such cases. These complex decisions also do not simply boil down to "ego strength." We can find anecdotes aplenty on both sides of this, probably a better bet to tell someone that it may well work against them, and it may well not, rather than a rosy, unrealistic picture.

Well said.

I do not think ego strength is the primary issue. I do think that the thought that a faculty member may offer admission to someone who will decline (again), therefore missing out on another possible student, is a primary concern.

Again, I encourage the applicant to explain the process, but would absolutely not discourage them from applying in the first place.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you so much for the feedback! I did reapply to the MA program since I knew I wouldn't have much to lose. I went to the school's website and the admission page states that "While previous admission is not a guarantee of admission in a subsequent year, it is often a good indicator of admissibility". So I'm hoping that is a good sign :)

True enough. But consider that many adults, past a certain age, say 45-50, which is well beyond the age bracket that most faculty members in psychology doctoral programs fall into
???

This is a wild assertion. There are TONs of faculty over 50. Characterizes most faculty I have worked with, most places.

???

This is a wild assertion. There are TONs of faculty over 50. Characterizes most faculty I have worked with, most places.

Yes, agreed. I miswrote. What I meant to say is that most faculty are older than that age bracket.

Yes, agreed. I miswrote. What I meant to say is that most faculty are older than that age bracket.
Yeah although it would be interesting to see some data. There are younger folks out there too in these roles, but I wonder what the breakdown is like by program type (e.g. Maybe more new faculty in FSPS?)