Re-applying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Laakari

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm re-applying to medical school and looking for any advice. In the 2014 cycle I got three interviews, two waitlists, and no acceptances. One of my interviews was at a pretty good school, at the interview they actually said they were certain everyone there would be accepted somewhere. I got rejected before interview from a lot of not top schools, so I don't think that was the only factor.

Is it possible/a good idea to contact those schools that interviewed me and talk about my previous application and what they thought was missing? Will there likely even be anyone who remembers? I know that my one straight rejection after interview gave some contact information for this, but I no longer have access to it.

Members don't see this ad.

What date did you submit your application during the 2014 cycle? Did you apply to Texas schools? If not, where did you apply (top tiers, middle tiers, low tiers, a mix)?

Absolutely contact the schools that interviewed you and find out what was lacking in your application. If your current thought process is "I'm going to just turn in the same, carbon copy application as previous cycle," you're doing it wrong. It is imperative that you improve your application for the 2015 cycle before submitting.

Definitely try to get some answers from those schools first! When I started the process of reapplying, I had advisors and friends look over my application and tell me if there was anything I could improve on. I ended up changing the tone of my personal statement and changing a few other things and it definitely helped! Assuming you have a decent GPA and MCAT score, I would definitely start there. Also, make sure you submit it as early as possible, it makes a difference.