Re-take advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jmu29

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Took MCAT last year during my senior yr without studying (dumb) and bombed with sub 500. Retook June 19th and studied pretty good, took the 4 FL (not sure of order but 507, 511, 515, and 502 on FL4). I got a 501 which is totally different from what I thought. Fl1-3 were re-takes from last year. I thought my scores were better because they were re-takes but I also scored ~510 on the sample which I did not take and on the Chem and bio q-packs I scored always above 85%. My 501 breakdown was 125/122/127/127. Chem and bio should have definitely been higher and CARS is always my killer. Anyway - need advice on good materials to use as I will be retaking in August. I heard Uearth is good but how about practice tests? I already took all AAMC which kind of sucks. Any advice for FL test stimulation?

Members don't see this ad.

Best practice content will always be AAMC, but UWorld would probably be closest for question packs. As for closest third-party FL exams, I would personally say NextSteps is okay, but no third-party material really closely mimics the AAMC.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

I wouldn't recommend UWorld to start. It's a better resource later in your studies, after you've mastered most of the material and developed your test skills. I strongly recommend the SDN plan (found here) as a starting point. I was hyper anal about getting the right books for everything and I did an exhaustive analysis of what people used who did well and what people who did poorly used. After spending a full week collecting information form here and r/mcat, I ended up almost the same books and exams as my conclusion that Nymeria and friends came up with.

The TBR books are by far the best books for chem, physics, and organic. They are excellent for bio too. TPR does a great job with P/S and CARS. There are other recommendations to supplement a topic you find challenging if you need to. It has good advice when to do each of the items in your study arsenal.

Last edited: