Re-taking a course at a CC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted244469

So Freshman year, I received a C in allied sciences chemistry, and my university will not allow me to retake it at the institution. If I go and re-take it at a local CC, they will not accept it back at the university to use toward my GPA. Will it still be on my transcript and can I use this towards my total sGPA (assuming I get an A)? I am trying to fix the C. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

yes you can use it as an addition to your science gpa on amcas. all college transcripts must be turned in including cc classes.

yes you can use it as an addition to your science gpa on amcas. all college transcripts must be turned in including cc classes.

To expand upon this, yes, it will count toward your science GPA. However, it will not replace (or "fix") your C. AMCAS does not allow for grade replacement: if it is on your transcript, it will be used in the cGPA/sGPA calculation. However, if you were applying for DO schools, retaking a class can replace the lower grade.

Additionally, you talked about how it won't affect how your institution calculates your GPA. That doesn't matter, as AMCAS calculates its own GPA. If your institution says you have a 3.9 and AMCAS says you have a 3.8, for the purposes of your application you have a 3.8.

Members don't see this ad :)
A newbie to the whole process here...and had a quick follow up question. So if AMCAS does recalculate your GPA then what is the difference between taking the class over the summer at a CC versus taking it at your university over again?

If I'm going to take it over and it doesn't matter where I take...wouldn't you rather take it at the CC where the subject is probably easier, cheaper and sort of...stress free?

I got a C in Gen. Biology because of a timing mistake and want to change that and was planning on retaking at my StateU but if I could I'd go for the CC option...

Sorry, another quick question:

When I was a freshman in high school (Summer 2008) I took two courses at my local CC, Pre-Calculus and Intermediate French II. I have entered college in 2010 and am set to graduate in 2013 or 2014 (depending if I go the 3-Year route). Would my grades from the CC from back in 2008 still count towards my AMCAS GPA? Also, where I can more information about GPA recalculation that AMCAS...? Thanks for your help guys!

Sorry, another quick question:

When I was a freshman in high school (Summer 2008) I took two courses at my local CC, Pre-Calculus and Intermediate French II. I have entered college in 2010 and am set to graduate in 2013 or 2014 (depending if I go the 3-Year route). Would my grades from the CC from back in 2008 still count towards my AMCAS GPA? Also, where I can more information about GPA recalculation that AMCAS...? Thanks for your help guys!

The answer to your question is yes (there is a High school section on the AMCAS were you put down your grade).

A newbie to the whole process here...and had a quick follow up question. So if AMCAS does recalculate your GPA then what is the difference between taking the class over the summer at a CC versus taking it at your university over again?

If I'm going to take it over and it doesn't matter where I take...wouldn't you rather take it at the CC where the subject is probably easier, cheaper and sort of...stress free?

I got a C in Gen. Biology because of a timing mistake and want to change that and was planning on retaking at my StateU but if I could I'd go for the CC option...

You should preferably retake it at a university. If you have not other alternative, then take it at a CC. The GPA will be weighed the same wether it be at a 4 year university or 2 year CC.

Thanks Yamaraja808! I was actually just checking the AMCAS instruction manual...so according to AMCAS does the BCMP effectively translate to your sGPA? I've been hearing debate as to whether Math courses such as Calc I,II and Statistics count toward your science GPA. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks Yamaraja808! I was actually just checking the AMCAS instruction manual...so according to AMCAS does the BCMP effectively translate to your sGPA? I've been hearing debate as to whether Math courses such as Calc I,II and Statistics count toward your science GPA. Any thoughts on that?

Yes that is right, math does count toward the BCMP. I have had taken a statistics course taken under the economics department in the past and the AMCAS counted it toward the science GPA (when I applied). So the courses you have stated should count.

your BCMP courses = your sGPA.

i am not sure on the process but i have heard numerous stories that allied classes are often converted to non-science by amcas and aacomas. it could have changed, or it could have been from unreliable sources.

Yes that is right, math does count toward the BCMP. I have had taken a statistics course taken under the economics department in the past and the AMCAS counted it toward the science GPA (when I applied). So the courses you have stated should count.

your BCMP courses = your sGPA.

Point of clarification: technically, sGPA as understood by DO applications really means science (i.e. BCP). For MD applications, sGPA := BCPM.

i am not sure on the process but i have heard numerous stories that allied classes are often converted to non-science by amcas and aacomas. it could have changed, or it could have been from unreliable sources.

Does anyone know if this is true? ^^^

Does anyone know if this is true? ^^^

Page 40 of the AMCAS instruction manual lists the course categorization mapping and has "allied health" as a subset of Health Sciences, which is not a BCPM category. For your chemistry course, if the course was offered by the chemistry department, then I should think it's most definitely a chemistry course. Barring that, even if it's offered by a different department, if its primary course content is chemistry, then you should classify it as chemistry. Do you have a link to the course description or can you quote it here?

Page 40 of the AMCAS instruction manual lists the course categorization mapping and has "allied health" as a subset of Health Sciences, which is not a BCPM category. For your chemistry course, if the course was offered by the chemistry department, then I should think it's most definitely a chemistry course. Barring that, even if it's offered by a different department, if its primary course content is chemistry, then you should classify it as chemistry. Do you have a link to the course description or can you quote it here?

1120. Basic General, Organic, and Biochemistry I (4) (F,S,SS) (FC:SC)
May not count toward foundations curriculum science requirement for science majors. General, organic, and biochemistry and chemical applications in health professions.

Strangely, my allied health classes, which I entered as non-science, were all converted to science courses upon verification (which I did not argue: it really helped my GPA!). Maybe its just luck with what reviewer you get. :) Also, it might depend on the department: Although they were allied health, they were offered by the molecular biology department.

Strangely, my allied health classes, which I entered as non-science, were all converted to science courses upon verification (which I did not argue: it really helped my GPA!). Maybe its just luck with what reviewer you get. :) Also, it might depend on the department: Although they were allied health, they were offered by the molecular biology department.

Indeed, which is why I think it's useful to rely on the department teaching the course when attempting to classify it. If that doesn't help, then analyzing the course description to determine primary content is the next best strategy.

Indeed, which is why I think it's useful to rely on the department teaching the course when attempting to classify it. If that doesn't help, then analyzing the course description to determine primary content is the next best strategy.

So what do you think mauberley? Does it count or no?

The Chemistry department. More research gave me this Title:

Introduction to Chemistry for the Allied Health Sciences

The Chemistry department. More research gave me this Title:

Introduction to Chemistry for the Allied Health Sciences

Something about this course description doesn't sit right with me, I feel like it might come back to haunt you later. It says in the description that it doesnt fulfill a requirement for science majors, in addition to the fact that this class is neither organic or inorganic chemistry as required by every med school there is. While I think it might be a good intro or addition to your classes, I have a feeling that this class is not going to be accepted as a chem requirement.

You need to take inorganic chem or sometimes called general chem but make sure the course is for science majors. I would hate to see you waste time on a class that isn't going to fulfill he requirement.

Good luck, and let me know if I can help I am on my way to medicine as well.

Something about this course description doesn't sit right with me, I feel like it might come back to haunt you later. It says in the description that it doesnt fulfill a requirement for science majors, in addition to the fact that this class is neither organic or inorganic chemistry as required by every med school there is. While I think it might be a good intro or addition to your classes, I have a feeling that this class is not going to be accepted as a chem requirement.

You need to take inorganic chem or sometimes called general chem but make sure the course is for science majors. I would hate to see you waste time on a class that isn't going to fulfill he requirement.

Good luck, and let me know if I can help I am on my way to medicine as well.

Thanks for the reply. On the contrary, it won't "haunt" me, but could actually help if it does not count. I got a "C" in it Freshman year, so if it is not counted, my sGPA would soar. I am going to call tomorrow and get a definitive answer. Good luck to you as well. :cool: