Re-Taking Prerequisites for medical school at various Universities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrFabulasity

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I am new to this board but have been lurking for a while. I graduated from college back in 2011 with a fairly low gpa :( . I am looking to retake all of my Pre-Med classes, raise my GPA and hopefully apply to DO school :xf::xf::D. It is extremely hard for me to take the necessary courses that I need at one university (the classes that are being offered during times I am scheduled to work). It would be much easier for me to retake the courses at a local community college but I don't want to hinder my application. Would it look bad for me to take the necessary Pre-Med courses at two different universities?

Thanks in Advance

Members don't see this ad.

Shouldn't be much of a problem. I retook both semesters of Organic at a CC while I worked, as well as the second semester of Physics online at a separate CC because of the same scheduling issues. Happy MS-1 at an Osteopathic school now. :)

Just make sure you ace them!

NeuroSpeed - Were those the only classes that you needed to retake? I need to retake mostly all of my premed requirements. I never took Orgo II, or Physics II - Should I take those two courses at a local University? I'm afraid that it will cause a red flag having so many transcripts from various colleges.

Members don't see this ad :)
How many different transcripts are you talking about?

The ADCOM told me that retakes at a CC weren't an issue, but that it might be if they were the original attempts. However since you are a non-trad you may get some leeway but I wouldn't count on it. That particular ADCOM moved on to pursue photography or something, so I don't know how any other current ADCOMs feel.

I forgot to mention that I retook those before joining a formal post-bacc program that did not teach the pre-requisites. There are also formal post-bacc courses that teach the pre-reqs if yo can afford to go to one.

I had transcripts from five colleges on my application. Three were from my first round of college, and two were from my postbac. It was never mentioned in an interview. As long as your grades are good it won't be a problem.

Hi Everyone,

I am new to this board but have been lurking for a while. I graduated from college back in 2011 with a fairly low gpa :( . I am looking to retake all of my Pre-Med classes, raise my GPA and hopefully apply to DO school :xf::xf::D. It is extremely hard for me to take the necessary courses that I need at one university (the classes that are being offered during times I am scheduled to work). It would be much easier for me to retake the courses at a local community college but I don't want to hinder my application. Would it look bad for me to take the necessary Pre-Med courses at two different universities?

Thanks in Advance

I took my premed courses at 3 different institutions, of which one was a community college.. and I was accepted. If the rest of your app is good this wont stop you from being accepted :) Good luck! :thumbup:

NeuroSpeed - Probably three different transcripts. (1 from my alma mater - 2 from each of the local universities in my area). Unfortunately the closest school that offers a "formal" post bacc program are UMASS Boston and of course the Harvard Extension program both of which are 1.5 hours away from my home.

Thank you everyone else for your replies!! It helps tremendously!

6 different transcripts here (and 7 schools listed), I win !

Most of them were CC's, but I didn't really take pre-reqs at those (so maybe that's less applicable). The number of transcripts weren't a problem for me though. However, I did get several questions at my interviews regarding my "path" because I had so many schools listed and they got confused by all the years and timelines.

6 different transcripts here (and 7 schools listed), I win !

Most of them were CC's, but I didn't really take pre-reqs at those (so maybe that's less applicable). The number of transcripts weren't a problem for me though. However, I did get several questions at my interviews regarding my "path" because I had so many schools listed and they got confused by all the years and timelines.

I beat you. Seven different schools. Two degrees form one of them. All my prerequisite classes were from my original BS from back in 1993. I did take the recommended biochem class in the summer of 2011, but it was not a requirement. The rest of my classes were graduate level teacher professional development that offered a few credits for very little work and really cheap. They advanced me on the pay scale but did not help any other way.

I beat you. Seven different schools. Two degrees form one of them. All my prerequisite classes were from my original BS from back in 1993. I did take the recommended biochem class in the summer of 2011, but it was not a requirement. The rest of my classes were graduate level teacher professional development that offered a few credits for very little work and really cheap. They advanced me on the pay scale but did not help any other way.

Nine schools. Boomshakalaka.

It doesn't matter as long as you do fairly well.

Bah humbug! Always upstaging me in the number of transcripts dsoz. :laugh:

But if I recall... You have more acceptances than me. In the grand scheme of things, you win. :thumbup:

Mostly because I canceled nine interviews after getting my first acceptance. I only attended interviews that were higher on my list from that point on. I think 3 acceptances for 5 interviews is pretty good.

The biggest problem with getting credits from so many different schools is sending transcripts. At an average of $5-10 each, it pains me to pay for them each time. First to AMCAS and AACOMAS, now to OHSU.

dsoz

Nine schools. Boomshakalaka.

:eek: ok ok we have a new king of transcripts. ;)

But if I recall... You have more acceptances than me. In the grand scheme of things, you win. :thumbup:

You got into your top choice. In the grand scheme of things, there are no losers here :)

The biggest problem with getting credits from so many different schools is sending transcripts. At an average of $5-10 each, it pains me to pay for them each time. First to AMCAS and AACOMAS, now to OHSU.

Weren't you the one that recommended Interfolio for transcripts? That means you can just pay once to send to interfolio and then interfolio will forward it to everybody else, including the schools, right?

WOW 9 schools!! Thats a lot.. I REALLY appreciate all of the responses. I really need to get the ball rolling on these re takes. A weight has been lifted off of my shoulders now that I know that I don't have to take all of the pre reqs at one university.

You got into your top choice. In the grand scheme of things, there are no losers here :)

So true. Ya, top choice in terms of financial reasons. The head wants one thing and the heart wants another. I get to stay in my house and my spouse get to keep the job that will provide health insurance. Not to mention tuition is about $10k less per year.

I really think that I would have been happier at a DO school. I really liked COMP-NW and the opportunities that they present. I think they make more of an effort to impact the community and OHSU is more "old school" and just rides the reputation.

But either way, we are all going to be in medical school. :thumbup:

Weren't you the one that recommended Interfolio for transcripts? That means you can just pay once to send to interfolio and then interfolio will forward it to everybody else, including the schools, right?

I know that I was not the one that thought of it first. I read someone else did it on here somewhere. But it was too late for me, I already sent mine off to both AACOMAS and AMCAS when I saw it. Now I still need to send them all off to OHSU. I hope I don't need to do it again when residency comes around. Maybe I will also send them to interfolio just in case.

Also, I don't know if schools will accept them from interfolio. They may need to come from the institution directly. That would be something to look into.

dsoz