Re-taking the MCAT in 6-7 weeks. Does this sound like a good study plan?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iliveinmyguitar

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So i took my first test on september 4th and ended up with a measly 23 (PS 7, V 6, BS 10) even though I was averaging 28 on all the practice aamc exams. I moved to the US at the age of 11 so english is not my first language. The highest score I was able to get on the AAMC FL verbal was a 9. I committed the entire summer to prepare for the exam by taking the Princeton Review course from june until the end of july and then self studied and took practice tests in august. I was really disappointed with my PS score because I typically got a 10 or 11 on it on the FLs.

I'm not really sure what to do to study for this upcoming re-take on December 6th. I have the science workbook from TPR that I've only completed about half of so I think I am just going to go through the entire book reviewing the passages that I have done and doing the other ones timed. I also ordered the EK 101 Verbal book that should be coming in tuesday. I will be using that to get my verbal up. Also, I have completed all the AAMC tests(3-11) and TPR tests(1-3) should I re-take/review them? On my TPR online account I still have the content up and I noticed there's another set of tests available for me to take.

They are: MCAT TPR Practice Tests 4 and 5, TPR Free Demo Practice Test, MCAT Cracking Practice Tests 1,2, and 3, and MCAT Review Online Practice Tests 1 and 2.

I don't hear people talking about those but I might as well take them for practice.

So yeah basically im gonna do the psgs from the TPR Science workbook and whatever areas im lacking in I will review the content and do practice psgs on that topic. Also, I will do about 2-3 practice tests a week and work on the EK 101 verbal everyday.

What else should I implement?

Members don't see this ad.

I highly recommend TBR CBTs. Their science passages are very good and similar to the real deal. Just out of curiosity, what were the breakdown of your AAMC FLs on 10 and 11? To average 10/11s on physical science and dropping 3-4 points on the real mcat seems a bit strange.

AAMC11: PS 11, V 7, BS 10 28
AAMC10: PS 9, V 8, BS 9 26
AAMC 9: PS 11, V 4, BS 10 25
AAMC 5: PS 9, V 9, BS 10 28
AAMC 3: PS 10, V 8, BS 11 29

Whats the cheapest way to get my hands on the TBR CBTs. Im so broke right now its not even funny.

And my grandma got hit by a car 2 weeks before the test so that was a big distraction. I was really close with her and was in and out of the hospital translating for her since she doesn't speak a word of english.

If money is an issue then consider taking online diagnostics. Most are free and there are many - Kaplan, Gold Standard, etc.
It'll be better then nothing.
Also, re-take some of your AAMC tests (especially the later ones).

Members don't see this ad :)
http://www.berkeley-review.com/TBR/bookdetails/orderinfo.html

are those it? Im considering buying all 7... somehow

Yeah you have to send in an order form to purchase them, however they'll only activate the tests 45 days prior to your exam date which I guess is about a week from now. It's kind of pricey but I think it's worth it. I'm rescheduling my exam date to this date due to a low verbal practice score, how are you planning to study for it? A few passages a day? I'm not really sure how to study for it since I don't find post-score analysis to be useful for verbal.

Yeah you have to send in an order form to purchase them, however they'll only activate the tests 45 days prior to your exam date which I guess is about a week from now. It's kind of pricey but I think it's worth it. I'm rescheduling my exam date to this date due to a low verbal practice score, how are you planning to study for it? A few passages a day? I'm not really sure how to study for it since I don't find post-score analysis to be useful for verbal.

For verbal i got the EK 101 verbal book and I plan to take 4 psgs out of that book everyday before the test. I'm gonna do them back to back giving myself 32minutes to do them all. Not gonna worry too much about post analysis because I'm leaving that for the AAMC practice tests. To bring up my Physics/chem and review the Bio I'm gonna do all the psgs from the TPR SWB. I already did about half of them during my first preparation but i'm gonna review those and finish the undone ones before the tests date. I guess ill content review as I go with the psgs. But yeah for verbal, its only worth reviewing AAMC ones because its only their thinking/logic that matters.