re: transferring without US school prereqs(biochem, mol bio)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

physics junkie

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let me preface this by saying that I am not asking this question for myself and replies along the lines of "she should do this instead..." are not helpful or wanted.

My girlfriend has a fairly high science GPA(above 3.8) but a horrible mcat score 23R for a variety of reasons(including taking it without having completed organic chem or general biology). Rather than retake the MCAT and apply again for a spot in august of 2010 she is thinking about going to a caribbean school. Now, if she chooses to go to a caribbean school she is thinking about trying to transfer back to the US after two years. Does she still need to complete molecular biology and biochemistry in her post-bacc(not requirements for most caribb. schools) to transfer back to a US school since those courses are prerequisites for US schools?

Members don't see this ad.

SGU has the highest transfer rate but it is something 2-4% of a 400 person class.

Basically it probably won't happen. The MCAT is the best option.

SGU has the highest transfer rate but it is something 2-4% of a 400 person class.

Basically it probably won't happen. The MCAT is the best option.

The transfer rate is higher than 2-4%. Also, you did not answer my question. It's rather rude to sidetrack my thread when I specifically stated that opinions along the lines you expressed are neither helpful nor appreciated.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck trying to get helpful responses with attitude.

Physics junkie is not asking for advice.
He's asking for relevant information... which wasn't provided.

:smack:

I don't think we can definitively answer your question. The best way to know would be ask the dean of admissions at whatever school(s) she is thinking of transferring in to. However, be aware that it is EXTREMELY hard to transfer into a US school from abroad. There were zero transfer students in my 3rd and 4th year rotations when I was US student. Maybe there are a few schools that take them, but transferring would be harder than just getting in to a US school in the first place, in my opinion. I know you aren't asking about retaking the MCAT, but I really, really think it is her best option. I know that to wait a year seems like the end of the world when you are that age, but really it isn't. And it will make her life so much easier if she can get in to school in the US, plus she'll probably get a better education. Not that there aren't a couple schools down there in the Caribbean that are probably comparable to US schools, but most of them aren't...

The best route to practice medicine in the US is to go to a med school in the US. Period. I think your girlfriend can do better on the MCAT, if she can get a 3.8 GPA. I don't understand the reason for not trying again.

Yeah, hello newly registered sockpuppet with physics-related username. C'mon, can you be more lame than that?

That's not me. Why are you still in this thread if you have nothing of value to contribute? Maybe swinging from McGillGrad's nuts is a past time of yours but perhaps you could go do that in some other thread?

I don't think we can definitively answer your question. The best way to know would be ask the dean of admissions at whatever school(s) she is thinking of transferring in to. However, be aware that it is EXTREMELY hard to transfer into a US school from abroad. There were zero transfer students in my 3rd and 4th year rotations when I was US student. Maybe there are a few schools that take them, but transferring would be harder than just getting in to a US school in the first place, in my opinion. I know you aren't asking about retaking the MCAT, but I really, really think it is her best option. I know that to wait a year seems like the end of the world when you are that age, but really it isn't. And it will make her life so much easier if she can get in to school in the US, plus she'll probably get a better education. Not that there aren't a couple schools down there in the Caribbean that are probably comparable to US schools, but most of them aren't...

The best route to practice medicine in the US is to go to a med school in the US. Period. I think your girlfriend can do better on the MCAT, if she can get a 3.8 GPA. I don't understand the reason for not trying again.

That's what I figured. I'll just call up the ADCOMs. We have a complicated situation otherwise waiting a year would be the best option. And yes, I understand transferring is next to impossible--but people do it so it is an option and it wouldn't necessarily be devastating if she couldn't transfer. She just wants to keep her options relatively open.

That's not me. Why are you still in this thread if you have nothing of value to contribute? Maybe swinging from McGillGrad's nuts is a past time of yours but perhaps you could go do that in some other thread?

It is wonderful to hear that you are thinking about my nuts. Are you going to stalk me now?