Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sociology

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

grapp

EMT-A Firefighter
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Two options really peak my interest both have benefits...

Emergency Management Vs. Sociology

Pro's of Emergency Management:
- I could become a paramedic out of it.
- Emergency Management teaches lots about leadership and taking control of a situation.
- It gives you insight on how to handle a major catastrophe as well as creating a triage most effectively.
- Teaches advanced life support.
- This will help my backup plan.
- Something I'm truly interested in.

Pro's of Sociology:
- It will allow me to understand and relate better to patients. ***
- It will help with my backup plan.
- Help understand backgrounds from all different walks of life, sort of ties into number 1.
- It's something I'm truly interested in.

Both have good benefits, one is known as a "soft science", the other non-science all together but solely focused on emergency management. My back up plan is a paramedic/counselor part-time. Could someone give me suggestions on which one might be better?

Members don't see this ad.

Is Emergency Management even a major offered at most colleges? I've honestly only heard of it in the context of community colleges or continuing education courses geared towards helping adults find a mid-level career. If you want to be trained as a first responder, you can become an EMT during college and many people do this in addition to their normal majors.

As for Sociology, if you're interested, go for it! I would make sure that you have a genuine interest, because sociology is one of the fields least likely to help you find gainful employment if you decide to back out of medicine, and I don't think it would help you "understand and relate better to patients" all that much - clinical experience helps you with that.

Regardless, remember that you usually have until Junior year of college to commit to a major (unless you have chosen something like engineering). You have plenty of time.

Is Emergency Management even a major offered at most colleges? I've honestly only heard of it in the context of community colleges or continuing education courses geared towards helping adults find a mid-level career. If you want to be trained as a first responder, you can become an EMT during college and many people do this in addition to their normal majors.

As for Sociology, if you're interested, go for it! I would make sure that you have a genuine interest, because sociology is one of the fields least likely to help you find gainful employment if you decide to back out of medicine, and I don't think it would help you "understand and relate better to patients" all that much - clinical experience helps you with that.

Regardless, remember that you usually have until Junior year of college to commit to a major (unless you have chosen something like engineering). You have plenty of time.
Emergency Management is offered at a local college. Idaho State University is a 4-6 year college, they offer an associates and batchelors in emergency management. Therefore, I'm not 100% on one or the other.