Re-writing - Need help with a plan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dodge

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am a long time lurker on this forum but this is my first time posting.

I wrote the MCAT twice and scored poorly.

MCAT 1 (2012): 9/6/10 S - took the TPR in class prep course and did all the AAMC tests on the computer
MCAT 2 (2014): 9/6/8 - went over my notes from last time and did all AAMC tests (R versions) on paper this time

On the practice tests this time, I was getting between 9-11 PS, 6-9 VR, 8-12 BS.

I will have to re-write in January. I am really lost on how to prep this time. I really want to nail it this time and need to come up with a plan. I can put in my all till January. My only other commitment is another exam I have in February that I will be studying for (not the DAT...in case anyone is thinking of that) and a 3-4 hours/week volunteer position that I will be starting next month. I have been looking for a job but I can put that off till after January.

I feel that my content knowledge is strong but I have a hard time interpreting the passages for the sciences, especially the ones that talk about experiments. For the Verbal, I did lots of practice both times and was scoring between 6-9 on practice tests. I really need to work on this weakness.

I don't know if at this point its even good to mention a goal in terms of the score (I am feeling really down) - would like to aim for 32 (11 in VR).

Please provide input and advise on how I should plan? I really want to have a concrete action plan written down to keep me in check day to day with my studying this time.

Should I re-read the TPR books instead of just relying on my notes from last time? I have the TPR and TBR books.

Thank you,

Dodge

Members don't see this ad.

Your verbal is your biggest problem by far. Even if you got 11's on PS and BS a verbal 6-7 will be a major issue in getting interviews. You need to be doing 4-5 or more verbal practice passages every single day - exhaust the princeton hyper verbal, EK101 verbal, AAMC verbals, and anything else decent you can find before january. Practicing is key.

For science, stick to the cycle of 1) take a practice test 2) review everything you made a mistake on and brush up on those weak spots 3) repeat indefinitely

Thanks, I plan to do 4 passages/day everyday, gradually increasing to 7 passages/day from today till test date.

For the sciences, should I go through books again and then tackle the practice tests? It has been a while since I took the TPR prep course and this time I only relied on my notes for content review. I am thinking of using the BR books and following the SN2ed schedule. I plan to go through the books more as a review than a thorough read, following the schedule in SN2ed and doing practice passages and discretes each day.

Any feedback on this plan?

Personally I don't think studying everything equally is a good approach. It's much better to let practice exams highlight your weak areas so you can devote 100% of your reviewing to things you haven't mastered.

The BR books are phenomenal, except biology which goes into far too much detail. EK Bio is a good substitute there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Below is an outline of how I studied and prepared with a few tips as well. I got a 38 (PS14 VR11 BS13). If you feel like you are struggling I would recommend getting a personal tutor if you have the money. They are often cheaper than the big name review courses and can help you attack your weaknesses better, as well as come up with a study plan that can help you. I used Next Step Test Prep. One of my biggest tips is to review the material and make sure you feel totally comfortable with it before starting to do the practice exams. There is no point in wasting a practice exam if you aren't comfortable with all the material yet.

I mainly used ExamKracker's as I found this to be the most concise (my tutor recommended this and I looked at some of the others and he seemed correct with this assumption). The other review books I find go into a lot more detail than necessary. Now if you feel really weak in one area you may want to get another review book that goes more in depth so you have a better general knowledge about it, but I found EK to give you the essentials. So for the first month and a half my day would look like this:

-read a chapter in one of the subjects of EK and do the problems in the reading and the chapter exams at the end of the book

-review the chapter I read the day before by skimming the pages and taking a second look at anything confusing as well as quickly going through the questions paying more attention to the ones I had missed

-do 2 verbal passages from EK 101 Passages or TPR Verbal with a 15 minute timer (this is shorter than you get on the exam but I found it helped me think and read faster)

-review the verbal passages I had done the day before

This would take anywhere from 3-5 hours. Then after the 5th day I would have a review day where I would review the four previous chapters I had read (skim through the pages and look at the questions again) and do two more verbal passages. I also took a break day once a week.

One thing I advise during this time is to do a different subjects (Orgo, Bio, Chem, Physics) everyday so all the subjects are always fresh in your mind. I would normally do one chapter from each book and then my review day I would review these four chapters.

A few notes for Verbal. First, practice AND review. Make sure to review the questions not just after you do the passages but the next day to remind yourself why you got a question wrong. It might seem stupid at first and like it isn't helping but I noticed when I forgot to do that I was not improving but when I started reviewing the day after I noticed I was doing better. Second, I never felt like I was improving at Verbal but my scores were, so don't get discouraged if you don't feel like you are getting better or learning how to master Verbal. I feel a lot of the Verbal strategies you learn while practicing are almost subconscious. You just start getting a feel of what looks like the right answer even if you aren't 100% sure, and it is often right. I could not tell you "I know this is the right answer because X" but after doing so many problems you just start getting a sense of what the right answer is even if you can't really explain why (I know this is kind of a frustrating response but its what I found). Obviously if you aren't getting more correct answers in your practice then you should reevaluate what you are doing and maybe try something different, but don't expect a huge "aha" moment when it comes to Verbal. Third, one tip my tutor told me and it seemed pretty true is to go with your gut on Verbal. It is one reason why I practiced with 7.5 minutes a passage even though you get around 8.5 minutes on the real thing. The more you think about a question the more you start validating wrong answers and tripping yourself up (which is what the exam writers want). If you find yourself struggling and toiling with questions try just going with your gut reaction to the question. See how it works. It may not work for you but it definitely helped me. Lastly, get two verbal practice books (I suggest EK 101 because it has good questions and TPR verbal because it has good passages) and keep changing between the two once you feel like you have plateaued with one. They help you practice slightly different strategies so it is good to do both.

So after this month and a half I took the 5 Self-Assessments. I took the Chem and Physics on the same day and the Bio and Orgo on the same day and then all the Verbal on one day. I did not know how long they were going into it so I might recommend doing just one a day as it was a lot. Definitely split up the Verbal. 21 passages is just too many for one person to do in one day without getting extremely fatigued and frustrated. I did it all in one day and got 88% correct on the first 14 passages and 64% on the last 7 passages, so fatigue definitely played a factor and I wasted good practice passages trying to do them while exhausted. After each Self-Assessment I spent 2 days reviewing all of the questions on that Self-Assessment, paying more attention to the ones I missed or guessed on. Through this time I was also still doing 2 verbal passages a day and reviewing them the next day (THIS IS KEY FOR VERBAL).

After this the way my schedule worked out I had an extra week or so in my study schedule I spent just taking one subject a day and skimming through the whole book and the questions making sure to brush up on anything that I still felt was weak. I felt weakest on the Bio body systems so I got the TPR and Kaplan Bio books and read the body system chapters to get a little different view on them. I also continued the two daily verbal passages.

This led me up to about a month before the exam, when I started taking the AAMC practice exams. I took two practice exams every week with two days in between and a rest day each week. During those two days in between I went through the practice exams each day looking at every question and paying close attention to the ones I missed or marked. I then took one chapter from each subject book (Orgo, Chem, Bio, Physics) and spent just about 20 minutes each skimming the chapter and looking at the in-reading questions to make sure I still felt comfortable with the material. For Bio, which I felt was my weakest science, I would actually just reread a chapter every day in between practice exam days since the EK chapters are not too long and Bio is something you learn more by just reading material on it rather than doing questions. While this short review of each chapter may seem insignificant I found it important for me to at least look at the material so it would stay fresh in my mind since the practice exams don't cover all the material you have to know. Taking a month to just do practice exams is a long time that you may forget some details that the practice exams don't cover, which is why I did this quick daily chapter review. I also bought a book called Kaplan 45 Advanced Prep that had some really tough practice that I would try on these between exam days but I really wouldn't recommend it unless you feel like the normal practice isn't tough enough. I didn't find it that helpful and it was a little discouraging. Lastly, of course, I would do my two verbal passages. These days would take about 4-6 hours.

So this led me up to the last two days before the exam where I just relaxed and tried not to think about the exam. I had made a study guide with formulas and facts/terms I often forget earlier that I just glimpsed over once or twice these two days before, but other than that I just tried to relax my brain. The MCAT is like running a marathon, there is no point in practicing a ton the two days before. You have prepared for awhile for this and it would only hurt you.

So that is what I did to prepare for the exam. Hope this helps. I know studying to retake it might be a little different if you have already used up all the AAMC practice tests and stuff but I hope some of this advice can help you. Personally I would say to stay away from the review classes such as Kaplan and Princeton and stuff as I feel each person learns a little bit differently and might have their own things that work better for them. I got a personal tutor (from Next Step Test Prep) and it was helpful but really if you can plan your schedule and stick to it studying on your own is really the best way to learn it. A tutor can help you come up with a schedule and answer some of your questions but overall it comes down to just sitting down and doing the stuff.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask! Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Thank for the comments. Can you discuss how you reviewed the passages for verbal.

I have developed a method of coding the answers that I eliminate as I am doing the passages. For example, if I eliminate an answer that is extreme, I write E beside it, opposite, I would write O beside it and so on. I do this only because it helps me keep track of my thinking. So when I review the answers, I have the information on why I had eliminated an answer and I compare my reasoning with the solutions. I go though all the questions, the ones I got right and the ones I got wrong. But I am spending more time on the ones I got wrong but it does not take me as long as you mentioned.

How did you review the 4 passages (2 from that day and 2 from the day before)? If you are spending 3-5 hours, your review process if most likely extensive. Can you go into that in more details?

Examkracters 101 verbal passages is probably the best resource for you. I loved doing it and I suffered a lot in verbal also. Then again my Verbal score as a 9 so I kinda accepted that. What I suggest for you only focus on verbal for 1 month. Then in december go onto doing the science sections before the january MCAT. Sciences can be read and understood whereas verbal is only practice based. ExamKrackers is what I used along with berkley review and princetonreview.

My review for the verbal wasn't all that extensive. Normally I would read the question and answers again and read the explanations in the back of the book, obviously looking more intently at ones I had missed but also paying attention to ones I was unsure of but got right. These are the ones you want to focus on as well as there was a reason you chose the answer you did even though you were unsure. Understanding your correct thought processes is just as important as understanding your wrong thought processes. Other than practicing I have heard it is also good to read articles in magazines and stuff like The Economist and think about them like you would an MCAT passage, thinking about the main points and such. My tutor recommended doing that but I didn't really have time when I was studying to do that as I was also taking Orgo Lab and working 20-25hrs/week at my research job. Just another idea of something you could try