Reaction after viewing scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sansfrontier

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, what was your reaction after you saw your scores. Did you cry, laugh,....
Let's hear it! :laugh:
What was the reaction of those who were around you?!?!

Members don't see this ad.

Psycho Doctor said:
sorry i had a pretty good sense of humor until i started getting attacked; between that and studying for molecular biology and clinical neurobiology midterms it sort of went right over my head. :oops:

Your reaction to criticism is interesting. Do you ever notice how I go between being your friend and attacking you? :laugh:

It seems to just depend on whether I'm criticizing at the moment. These aren't attacks, they're constructive criticisms. I'm saying you're being mysterious and dramatic. Those aren't my standard personal attacks :laugh:

MoosePilot said:
Your reaction to criticism is interesting. Do you ever notice how I go between being your friend and attacking you? :laugh:

It seems to just depend on whether I'm criticizing at the moment. These aren't attacks, they're constructive criticisms. I'm saying you're being mysterious and dramatic. Those aren't my standard personal attacks :laugh:

i actually take positive criticism well...i just finished e-mailing someone from this board a message in response to his apology for "being to harsh" saying i really didn't take it as so harsh, that i appreciate positive criticim that i can learn from.

and sorry, forget everything i said. I pulled an all-nighter last night so i guess i'm not doing a very good job in my responses. sorry, it's my fault, i over-reacted and misinterpreted your messafges. i really don't want to be mad at you; i actually always liked you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Psycho Doctor said:
and sorry, forget everything i said. I pulled an all-nighter last night so i guess i'm not doing a very good job in my responses. sorry, it's my fault, i over-reacted and misinterpreted your messafges. i really don't want to be mad at you; i actually always liked you.

No problem. Get some rest. I like you too or you would already be on my ignore list. I like that feature :D

Wow, what has this thread turned into? All the drama over some broken promise and a bad joke under stress?? So will psycho post his score and bring peace in the forum!!

Ok, let's get back to reaction after viewing scores... I think we should have a counseling center in the forum for ppl who have been emotionally affected by their scores!!

ajt2003 said:
Complete and utter relief. My scores now are completely solid; nothing amazing, but I'll take 'em! And what's with the essay grading? I went from a Q to an S -- and my essays this time around were WAY worse than last time. Then again, the essay portion doesn't really count, so...

Yea I went from a Q to an S too. And I screwed up the second essay. Maybe Kaplan is really hard on grading.

BTW, I've heard from some reputable people that the essay portion counts for much more than you think. Some medical schools look at that grade FIRST because they want to see if you can communicate. I didn't take the essay section lightly.

MoosePilot said:
No problem. Get some rest. I like you too or you would already be on my ignore list. I like that feature :D

i didn't even know the feature existed. i guess there's a lot i haven't played with around here.

acl3623 said:
cried...my scores went from ok to just bad now. im scared. i dont know if i should withdraw my applications from schools...i mean i know they look at all of your scores but i just dont know if its worth spending all the money on secondaries that i passed the screen with my first score but this score probably wouldnt have...i need help... :(

I hear you on that one. Same thing happened to me too. I think I just lost all my chaces of getting into med school upcoming year. What's really frustrating is that I studied really hard for this one and not nearly as much for the April one! I am just gonna have to retake in April and just live in the lib to study for it.

Sansfrontier said:
So, what was your reaction after you saw your scores. Did you cry, laugh,....
Let's hear it! :laugh:
What was the reaction of those who were around you?!?!

I checked around 12:40, 20 minutes before they were supposed to be up, and for some reason as soon as I logged in I felt they were going to pop up. When I saw my scores I couldn't believe it, I called everyone I knew to tell them, called my boys who are in med school and told them to look out for me next year. Im still thinking of people I can call that know what the MCAT is and what my score means.

Sansfrontier said:
Ok, let's get back to reaction after viewing scores... I think we should have a counseling center in the forum for ppl who have been emotionally affected by their scores!!

are you offering your services?

Word of advice: never check your MCAT scores in Starbucks.

I opened the screen, stared at my scores, then began weeping like a schoolgirl, realizing that April 2005 and I would soon exchange blows!

As quoted from another fellow SDN'er: Hoorah for sandy beaches! Unless I improve, its surfs up for me! :scared:

MesoCompound said:
Word of advice: never check your MCAT scores in Starbucks.

I opened the screen, stared at my scores, then began weeping like a schoolgirl, realizing that April 2005 and I would soon exchange blows!

As quoted from another fellow SDN'er: Hoorah for sandy beaches! Unless I improve, its surfs up for me! :scared:

i would NEVER check my scores anywhere except the privacy of my bedroom ALONE. Well i was on the phone with my brother and on-line with several people when i checked but my brother had already looked at them and told me it was safe. some people online didn't even know i checked my scores.

You should never take posts like that personally. You were just ''doing you'' and there's nothing wrong with that! :)

Psycho Doctor said:
that's the last thread i'm responding to honestly if you don't like melodrama. that's the way it was, next time i won't respond

blessed1 said:
You should never take posts like that personally. You were just ''doing you'' and there's nothing wrong with that! :)

thanks...i think. I admit i sometimes don't realize how my posts come across when i write as i'm actually thinking and feeling. I guess i need to learn to keep my feelings out of it.

Got upset and put my head down in a computer lab.

I was in the middle of a Neuroscience lab when my instructor told us to go print a certain journal article to read for background info on our reports. I was getting psyched because I knew this was when I could check my scores.

Needless to say, I came back to the lab disappointed and didn't do anything much for a good 10 minutes. The rest of the lab I didn't even try to get accurate data (we were counting retinal ganglion cells I believe). Just kind of went through the motions and didn't talk to anybody. Felt worse after about 30 mins when I realized I have to rewrite. :(

I was very, very nervous once I knew scores were out. I have already applied and this was my second time taking the MCAT, so it felt like all the time and money I already spent on apps and my chances at med school were all hinging on my score. I was at work and everyone there knew about it, so they left me alone in a room with a computer to check in privacy. I didn't want to look there, but I knew I couldn't hold out for 7 more hours. I had my BF on the phone look first, and I almost didn't want him to tell me, but what a relief--I went up 3 points from a 29 to a 32! I didn't go up as much as I wanted to in PS, but I can't complain--I was terrified that my score would go down, and since that didn't happen I'm happy. I wasn't overly excited or blissful, just relieved. Now I'm just hoping that a school will actually look at my new score and give me an interview... :rolleyes:

Mistress S said:
I was very, very nervous once I knew scores were out. I have already applied and this was my second time taking the MCAT, so it felt like all the time and money I already spent on apps and my chances at med school were all hinging on my score. I was at work and everyone there knew about it, so they left me alone in a room with a computer to check in privacy. I didn't want to look there, but I knew I couldn't hold out for 7 more hours. I had my BF on the phone look first, and I almost didn't want him to tell me, but what a relief--I went up 3 points from a 29 to a 32! I didn't go up as much as I wanted to in PS, but I can't complain--I was terrified that my score would go down, and since that didn't happen I'm happy. I wasn't overly excited or blissful, just relieved. Now I'm just hoping that a school will actually look at my new score and give me an interview... :rolleyes:

you got rejected from every school the first time with a 29?? WHAT??? what were your other stats and what schools did you apply to?

Psycho Doctor said:
you got rejected from every school the first time with a 29?? WHAT??? what were your other stats and what schools did you apply to?

No, no--this was my second time taking the MCAT, first time applying (I meant I had already submitted my AMCAS, not that I had gone through the whole app process). I've only gotten 1 rejection so far (out of 18 schools), but no interviews so my success remains to be seen. I took the Aug 2003 MCAT and got a 29, applied this July, and retook the Aug 2004 MCAT, now have a 32. I think I would have been okay with the 29 and hopefully would have gotten in somewhere, but I had a 7 in PS so I retook mainly to bring that up.