Read this if you need help making a school list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rendal

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since a fair number of people are already questioning this and more will surely make posts in the next couple of weeks, here is a simplistic and raw guide to creating a school list:

Step 1: Include all schools in your home state.

Step 2: Determine what type of an applicant you are:
Applicant A: >3.7 GPA and >22 DAT
Applicant B: 3.4<GPA<3.7 and 19<DAT<22
Applicant C: <3.4 GPA and <19 DAT

Step 3: Use the list corresponding to what type of applicant you are to add some more schools.
List A: UConn, Michigan, Penn, Harvard, Columbia, Maryland, UCSF
List B: Marquette, Pitt, Buffalo, Louisville, Kentucky, Rutgers, Ohio State, VCU, OHSU
List C: MWU-AZ, MWU-IL, NYU, BU, Temple, Case Western, Nova, Indiana, Tufts, UNE, Roseman, LECOM

Step 4: Fill in the rest of your school list with a couple of schools from the other two lists that you like. The schools that I chose above were chosen because they are known to accept a fair amount of OOS applicants.

Feel free to add other schools that I did not mention above (I'm not an expert on every school so I just included the schools I know enough about), but make sure you are comfortable with their OOS acceptance rate.

Another piece of advice to everyone: APPLY EARLY. If your application is complete in June or early July, you will have a strong advantage over those who apply later. That's because schools start to give out interview invitations around that time, so you want to be in the first group of reviewed applicants.

Good luck to everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 14 users
Step 5: Scrap the list, save up $15,000 and apply to 40-50 schools.

Reactions: 26 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Since a fair number of people are already questioning this and more will surely make posts in the next couple of weeks, here is a simplistic and raw guide to creating a school list:

Step 3: Use the list corresponding to what type of applicant you are to add some more schools.
List B: Marquette, Pitt, Buffalo, Louisville, Kentucky, Rutgers, Ohio State, VCU, OHSU
List C: MWU-AZ, MWU-IL, NYU, BU, Temple, Case Western, Nova, Indiana, Tufts, UNE, Roseman, LECOM

Step 4: Fill in the rest of your school list with a couple of schools from the other two lists that you like. The schools that I chose above were chosen because they are known to accept a fair amount of OOS applicants.

Feel free to add other schools that I did not mention above (I'm not an expert on every school so I just included the schools I know enough about), but make sure you are comfortable with their OOS acceptance rate.

Another piece of advice to everyone: APPLY EARLY. If your application is complete in June or early July, you will have a strong advantage over those who applied later. That's because schools start to give out interview invitations around that time, so you want to be in the first group of reviewed applicants.

Good luck to everyone!

Thank you for making this list. Will help a lot next year.

Nah, C should have list A too because who said you cannot dream big?!?!
Jk I agree with you, but B and C can mix a little in my opinion :p. Thank you for this :3, definitely help. I'm getting crazy about schools and PS as the 6/2 is approaching ..

Another piece of advice to everyone: APPLY EARLY. If your application is complete in June or early July, you will have a strong advantage over those who apply later. That's because schools start to give out interview invitations around that time, so you want to be in the first group of reviewed applicants.

Good luck to everyone!
Applicants- the only correct part of this post is regarding Harvard.. if you dont have the stats dont let it stop you from applying to a school. I have lots of colleagues that didnt have all the stats and still were given interviews and got in.

Applicants- the only correct part of this post is regarding Harvard.. if you dont have the stats dont let it stop you from applying to a school. I have lots of colleagues that didnt have all the stats and still were given interviews and got in.

This is true. However, if you do what @andreadds suggests, don't complain that you spent hundreds of dollars applying to schools whose averages dwarfed your stats.

If you have the money, apply to as many as possible. If money is a limitation (like most students), it'd make sense to apply to schools who have numbers similar to yours.

Reactions: 2 users
Does this list also applicable for international students??
I have been looking into the guide book but it is hard to make a decision out of it since the sample size is too small..
(and some schools have no info regarding to international student acceptance..)

Good luck to everyone!

I have been looking into the guide book but it is hard to make a decision out of it since the sample size is too small..

I don't have much knowledge on the schools that accept international students. Your best bet is to give some schools a call and ask what their policy is regarding international applicants.

I nominate this thread for a sticky, and @rendal for a promotion to moderator.