Reading a LOR after waiving the right to see it

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorWannaBe

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
One of my letter writers offered to let me read my LOR, even though I waived the right to read it. Should I turn down his offer to read the letter since I waived that right, or is it ok since I didn't ask him to read it? I don't want there to be trouble in case anyone finds out that I read the letter. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

you waived your "right" to see it...so you have no "rights" to see your letter, but if your letter writer still offers it to you after that fact...then I see no ethical problem with it...but that's just imho. Besides, it's probably good if he offers to show it to you.

I waived all three of my letters, but two of my letter-writers forwarded me a copy anyway. As pooh-chong says, you only waived your right to read it. Your letter writer retains the right to show it to you or make you a copy, as does anyone to whom the letter is addressed.

So eventually I was allowed to read all three of them.

Waiving your right to read your letter means you aren't guaranteed a copy, basically.

If the letter writer mails/emails you a copy, feel free.