Reading and Studying as an intern?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DB2013EM

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This has probably been asked before, but I have never read an answer before so at the risk of being redundant....

What outside reading should I do as an intern? IMO there is no substitute to being at the hospital experiencing it first hand, but I'm looking to buy some books and just wondering what is an effective way to absorb the EM knowledge.

Do I buy Tin Tin and read it cover to cover? Do I do something else???? HELP!

Members don't see this ad.

This has probably been asked before, but I have never read an answer before so at the risk of being redundant....

What outside reading should I do as an intern? IMO there is no substitute to being at the hospital experiencing it first hand, but I'm looking to buy some books and just wondering what is an effective way to absorb the EM knowledge.

Do I buy Tin Tin and read it cover to cover? Do I do something else???? HELP!

EMRAP and EMCrit. Rivers board review book, PEER 8 for questions.

Do I buy Tin Tin and read it cover to cover?...HELP!

No. The single highest yield thing you can do, from now until your career is over, is to spend 10 minutes per day reading about the one most interesting (or most difficult) case of your shift. It's amazing how much you will retain when it's based on a patient you saw that day. 10 minutes doesn't sound like a lot, but it is when it has relevance to a real life patient you've seen. It will stick much more than anything you read only in a book.

Last edited: