Reading Comprehension Issue

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jackthesparrow

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, this is Jack. I've been taking Reading Comprehension portion of the exam, and I keep getting around 15 to 16. And I tried again but this time I spent about 1 hour and 30 minutes instead of 1 hour. And I got 20. I use search and destroy method but I also read slow and carefully when I need to really understand sentences or paragraphs to be able to answer the question. And it is hard for me to comprehend and read fast enough to be able to make it within an hour. Also... I think I have some anxiety problem. I can't seem to think clearly at all when I'm under the time pressure. Any suggestion on what I should do, other then just practice more?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, I have a similar problem. I find that it helps to become interested in the passage no matter how boring it may be. I find that this helps me retain more information, and I am able to better answer the questions. As for anxiety, try to take a few minutes before the reading section to meditate and focus your mind.

Thanks Syntav, I will try some calming meditation and try not to rush through reading comprehension although its extremely hard not to...

Reactions: 1 user
First, try just practice fast reading. One artile of NY times or scientific American per day. Then try this method: read first and last paragraph and first sentence of each paragraph. Then try search and Destroy.

Members don't see this ad :)
First, try just practice fast reading. One artile of NY times or scientific American per day. Then try this method: read first and last paragraph and first sentence of each paragraph. Then try search and Destroy.
I will try that. Thanks!

Yeah. Those a good resourcs. People on this forum used them and have done well.