Reading Comprehensive OAT ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

qualong

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im getting myself prepare for the OAT.
On the test day, can I write down all the questions on a piece of paper and answer them after I read the passages? Am I allow to do that ? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Why on earth would you do that? It'd be a ridiculous waste of time.

On the test day, can I write down all the questions on a piece of paper and answer them after I read the passages? Am I allow to do that ? Thanks

not sure if this is just in CA, but we didn't get a pen and paper, just a crappy white board and markers...so writing was really difficult.

Members don't see this ad :)

You won't have time to do this. If you're studying this way, don't bother with it anymore. Find a new way to prepare for RC.

There's no need to anyway. The way it's set up is that you have the whole passage there to read, and then when you are ready for the questions, you have half the screen showing the passage and half the screen showing the questions. You don't need to memorize everything in the passage before you do the questions, because the passage is still there. Also, once you finish one passage, you can always go back to it. At the end of the test when I took it, I have 10+ minutes left to flip back through each passage and questions to see if I wanted to change any answers.

My recommendation (this actually comes from Kaplan): use the dry erase board and marker to make a "table of contents" of the passage. What that means is to write down numbers 1-12 (or so) and leave space between them. Each number corresponds to a paragraph. There might be fewer or more paragraphs, so just do a new number as you need it. Then for paragraph 1, write key words from the paragraph next to the number. These might mean names of people, names of particular anatomical structures the passage is talking about (i.e. lymphocytes or chromosomes or something). Read fast - don't try to absorb everything you read. In paragraph 2, do the same thing. It should be like 5-10 words per number. Then when you are reading the questions, it's a lot faster to answer them because MOST questions are about a detail in the passage. If you see a word in the question that was one of your key words, look through the list you made, find the word, then you know exactly which paragraph to do to and can quickly find the part of the passage that answers that question. That's the fastest and most effective way that I've found to do that section.

Good luck!