Reading during Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bigeminy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Started my EM residency last month and am finding it hard to find time to read. We are supposed to read about 2 chapters in Rosen's per week, but we aren't really tested on it and i get the sense than half of us just don't do it. I recently read a chapter in Rosen's and it felt exceedingly detailed (felt like Robbins pathology all over again).

Are there other, higher yield sources to read? I know all about podcasts and FOAM but i am more interested in the fundamentals right now. Is Rosen's really the only way to go?

Members don't see this ad.

I've never read Rosen's cover to cover(s) and I probably never will. Regardless, both tomes sit on my study shelf and in the event that I can't get to my firearms in time to ward off an intruder, God help them if I get a hold of one of those books because I could decapitate with one swing of those things.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
OP is right on with the wordiness of it, too.... "It was the best of abdominal pain, it was the worst of abdominal pain." ad;sklfjas;dklfj;ad;adsklc

I like the Rosen's chapters on the cardinal presentations.
Otherwise I use it as a reference, not a book to be read cover to cover and memorized.

fortunately we didn't buy it, we have a PDF of it available through the medical school.

any recommendations on what an actual readable source that covers the fundamentals is for interns?

fortunately we didn't buy it, we have a PDF of it available through the medical school.

any recommendations on what an actual readable source that covers the fundamentals is for interns?

AAEM's "A focused Review of the Core Curriculum" was very good and I liked the bulleted format in residency. A lot of people swear by Tintinalli's "Just the Facts" but I can't say I really enjoyed the format.