Reading Material?

Skylar-D

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there books or other reading materials that you have found useful in navigating the ups and downs of maintaining a strong relationship throughout med school?

My fiancé will begin studies in fall 2015. We will marry within the next year. We are mature (35+). I am transitioning from the city where I've built a successful professional career so that we can be together... and looking forward to carving out my next steps professionally from our new city. I am looking for literature with tips on building a strong partnership amidst the intense demands of medical school, being mutually supportive of each other's career and personal goals throughout the process, and the tactics employed by both parties to make things work. We don't see my PRIMARY role as being a support to him, which seems to be how much of the literature is framed. I've got lots going on too, and learning how to balance and prioritize will be an interesting challenge.

Has anyone found books, blogs or certain forums useful in navigating such issues?

Members don't see this ad.

Are there books or other reading materials that you have found useful in navigating the ups and downs of maintaining a strong relationship throughout med school?

My fiancé will begin studies in fall 2015. We will marry within the next year. We are mature (35+). I am transitioning from the city where I've built a successful professional career so that we can be together... and looking forward to carving out my next steps professionally from our new city. I am looking for literature with tips on building a strong partnership amidst the intense demands of medical school, being mutually supportive of each other's career and personal goals throughout the process, and the tactics employed by both parties to make things work. We don't see my PRIMARY role as being a support to him, which seems to be how much of the literature is framed. I've got lots going on too, and learning how to balance and prioritize will be an interesting challenge.

Has anyone found books, blogs or certain forums useful in navigating such issues?

A few suggestions: 1) premarriage counseling, 2) define your expectations for sex during school, 3) have something that you do together every week (that doesn't involve sex), 4) if you follow the same faith...remain dedicated. Books are a waste of time...unless it's a religious doctrine you read together.

The truth is that it's going to be tough and I am glad to see that you appreciate that. You are going to have to sacrifice significantly for one another for a very long time. It's a marathon. You will only make it if, 1) you put more into the relationship than you take and 2) you both refuse to see yourself as a victim.

Members don't see this ad :)
What does this mean?

Sex is important. There can be a disconnect between what you expect to be coming your way...and way actually comes your way. Medical training can definitely affect your sex life. When people are stressed out and have tons of other obligations...people can forget about sex. That is fine if there is only one party involved...but it could be an issue in a relationship. Communicating openly about sex can reduce frustrations considerably.