reading materials

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jon stewart

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
what are some good reading materials (newspapers. magazines) that will help for the verbal section on the mcat?

Members don't see this ad.

I didnt know the daily show required MCAT's??
I love that show!

VP

Members don't see this ad :)
jon stewart said:
what are some good reading materials (newspapers. magazines) that will help for the verbal section on the mcat?

If you're a left-leaning person interested in politics like me, The New Republic is great. And the New Yorker might just be better.

a lot of people recommend the new yorker and the wall street journal (nyc's got great publications, crappy baseball teams :p ). science magazines and journals are good too.

it also helps to stay away from sdn :p despite what many of us would like to tell ourselves, reading these forums will NOT help with verbal reasoning :p

I would say Harper's is the best I've seen. There is a section called readings, which is a compilation of various random things that have appeared in writing (this month included court transcripts (one clarifying that a court reporter should have written "ho" instead of "hoe" and why), a newsletter form the Jerusalem Biblical Zoo, a Fox news radio interview, recipes for locusts from a UN website, and an essay on aquariums and their importance in the community for urban renewal etc,.)

It is really a nice smattering of material. There are lots of interesting articles and always some boring, wordy ones. Always a work of fiction (short story) and dense reviews of new books. The only thing I don't get from Harper's that is on the MCAT is bad writing.