Ready to start, but not sure where to go...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gurlnxtdoor04

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

So I need some advice after years of depression and terrible grades (~2.0) I have beat my depression and am ready to try to achieve my dream of becoming a doctor. I have read other nontraditional's success stories and horror stories of how long and hard it was for them to overcome bad grades and I am still motivated and ready to do whatever it takes for as long as it takes me to get into medical school. My plan is 3-4 years of grade repair I have not graduated with a Bachelor's yet so there are two school options for me.

One school I can easily be accepted (with no GPA record) and get a B.S. in Biology

or

I can apply for readmission (because I left this previous school with medical withdraw I have to be reinstated) but will need to some classes at a community college for a couple semesters and get admitted to the Biochemistry program and receive a B.S. in biochemistry

My thought process is that if I major in Biochemistry and get a 4.0 (because I have too) it will show that I can handle intense work load better than just getting my B.S. in Biology, prepare me better for the MCATs and hopefully I won't have to do more schooling to get into medical school but then again it may not matter if I have 3-4 years of great grades with a Biology major

or

Since I am willing to do 4 years, graduate with my B.S. in two years (taking summer classes) and then attempt to get into grad school and get a masters in biochemistry.

Idk. Any advice that isn't "find another career" would be helpful. :)

Members don't see this ad.

How many credits do you have with the 2.0 average?

Members don't see this ad :)

You would have to take 180 credits (and get all A's) to get your GPA up to a 3.6.

I think if I were in your shoes, I would be thinking about DO programs. Do you know about the AACOMAS grade replacement policy? I would retake any classes with a C or lower and finish off the B.S. I don't know your specifics, but I suspect you could get your GPA to a viable number in 2-3 years (75-90 credits) if you are willing to go this route and can get close to a 4.0 from here on out.

I don't think it matters which school you attend or degree you seek. Demonstrating that you can consistently master material is the key.

One more thought: is that 2.0 due to lots of C's or a semester of Fs or WFs when you left school. If the latter, you could try writing to the dean, explaining your situation and ask if they would consider changing those grades to Ws. I had a similar situation (dropped out after a friend's death) and that worked for me. It can hurt to ask and since it looks like your issues were medical in nature, they may be willing to consider this. Just be sure to be humble and accept responsibility for your mistakes.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree w/ PP, I also had medical issues my first 2 years which lead to less-than-stellar grades. Consider the DO track (I'm doing the same), take advantage of the AACOMAS grade replacement and finish your B.S.

ETA: If you can swing it financially, you can do some retakes, finish your B.S. and then apply for an SMP program to help with the GPA issue/help you get some upper divisions sciences under your belt.

Last edited: