Realistic opinion about chances to get into a pharmacy school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Greetings!

I was hoping to get some opinions on whether or not it’s realistic for me to even apply to pharmacy school…

Where my doubts begin is my overall GPA (which is a 2.9 on my transcript) is only a 2.3 according to Pharmcas, which is ultimately what really matters. The reason for this - I made second attempts on a lot of classes I failed back in 2011/2012 when I just started college.

My science GPA is a 2.8 and my PCAT score is 80th percentile

I have juggled two part-time pharmacy tech jobs for 2 years now (both commercial and hospital)

I have been part of a pre-pharmacy club for 2 years as well

Accumulated roughly 150 volunteer hours

I am getting my BS in biomedical science next year

I have faced some serious barricades while growing up - all of which I will address in my personal statement. However, my fear is that no admissions counselor will even bother looking at an application like this, let alone invite me in for an interview.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

Admission standards don't exist anymore, I bet you would get in everywhere you apply.

And yet I didn't get into the one and only school I applied to in order to complete my pharmcas - that was definitely discouraging as well

MMmmm you're probably too competitive then. From what I've been reading on these forums, many students getting accepted hover around the 2.5 GPA and have a PCAT in the 30's. You need to go back to school, get a few F's and W's on that transcript and retake the PCAT and literally just sign your name. Schools don't even publish class statistics anymore because their secret is out.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Greetings!

I was hoping to get some opinions on whether or not it’s realistic for me to even apply to pharmacy school…

Where my doubts begin is my overall GPA (which is a 2.9 on my transcript) is only a 2.3 according to Pharmcas, which is ultimately what really matters. The reason for this - I made second attempts on a lot of classes I failed back in 2011/2012 when I just started college.

My science GPA is a 2.8 and my PCAT score is 80th percentile

I have juggled two part-time pharmacy tech jobs for 2 years now (both commercial and hospital)

I have been part of a pre-pharmacy club for 2 years as well

Accumulated roughly 150 volunteer hours

I am getting my BS in biomedical science next year

I have faced some serious barricades while growing up - all of which I will address in my personal statement. However, my fear is that no admissions counselor will even bother looking at an application like this, let alone invite me in for an interview.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated
My stats are a bit worse(2.3 science,45 pcat).. So I'm kind of in the same situation you are. I was able to get two interviews though. Some schools won't look at your application if your gpa is not pass the requirement. So if you really wanna do pharmacy; just keep applying and try. That's what I'll be doing. Good luck!

AsuPharm is trolling. Most of the students on this forum have at least a 3.0 GPA and 70 PCAT. But I'd be skeptical with a school that gives interviews to students with below a 2.7 and a 50 PCAT. That just screams suspicion and desperation to fill seats. That means no job for you in this market if you attend a school that doesn't even have much standards. It's honestly not that difficult to bring your GPA up to a 3.0 and the PCAT was a nearly a cake walk after studying for only a month. You'll be competing with kids from the big brand name schools like UNC, UCSF, UMN, etc. for jobs, and it's already hard for them. Go into nursing or something.

Honestly you have to contact each school you plan to apply. A lot of schools post a min gpa of 2.5 but in reality they won't even look at your app if your Pharcas gpa is less than a 2.8. Also your science gpa is important too. You definitely need to get that to a 3.0 or above since your pharmcas gpa won't change much. But you really need to sit down with someone so they can look at your transcript, see exactly where you fell behind at and give you an exact answer.
I know someone who got into Pharmacy school with a 20 on her pcat. But her gpa was a 3.7 and she did a lot of research with the pharmaceutical science department. So her mentor pulled strings to get her in. Maybe you can use who you know instead??

And ignore everything ASUPharm is saying.

I know someone who got into Pharmacy school with a 20 on her pcat. But her gpa was a 3.7 and she did a lot of research with the pharmaceutical science department. So her mentor pulled strings to get her in. Maybe you can use who you know instead??

Could it be that the school was so desperate to fill seats that they were willing to take everyone, regardless of whether they even met the minimum requirements?

Could it be that the school was so desperate to fill seats that they were willing to take everyone, regardless of whether they even met the minimum requirements?
University of Kentucky. Definitely not desperate. Bye troll

University of Kentucky. Definitely not desperate. Bye troll

In stoichiometrist's defense, a 3.7 GPA and a 20 PCAT is quite suspicious because the exam is standardized. Wouldn't you be concerned as an adcom if some kid did extremely well in school but barely passed a standardized exam...that tests you on the basics of your pre-reqs? You'd question a lot of things, like the quality of the school she went to, her performance in school (did she get connections to get good grades?), etc.

I know standardized tests aren't for everyone but you can close your eyes and choose C for everything and still probably make above a 20. Unless she has extreme anxiety or issues with testing, it shouldn't have been that low. And I'm guessing with that 3.7, she doesn't have academic disabilities.

In stoichiometrist's defense, a 3.7 GPA and a 20 PCAT is quite suspicious because the exam is standardized. Wouldn't you be concerned as an adcom if some kid did extremely well in school but barely passed a standardized exam...that tests you on the basics of your pre-reqs? You'd question a lot of things, like the quality of the school she went to, her performance in school (did she get connections to get good grades?), etc.

I know standardized tests aren't for everyone but you can close your eyes and choose C for everything and still probably make above a 20. Unless she has extreme anxiety or issues with testing, it shouldn't have been that low. And I'm guessing with that 3.7, she doesn't have academic disabilities.
She only took the exam once, but I have no idea how she bombed it. But her mentor is very respected there for all his contributions to their research. So if he felt like she was good enough to stick his neck out for than why would I ever question it? She did undergrad at Louisville

She only took the exam once, but I have no idea how she bombed it. But her mentor is very respected there for all his contributions to their research. So if he felt like she was good enough to stick his neck out for than why would I ever question it? She did undergrad at Louisville

Lovewillsavetheday- crusader of the (bottom) 1%!
Lets see how far down we can drive hours and salaries by letting any ***** be a pharmacist, which schools really are. A 20 on the PCAT? LOL Can they even read? We are screwed guys.

Lovewillsavetheday- crusader of the (bottom) 1%!
Lets see how far down we can drive hours and salaries by letting any ***** be a pharmacist, which schools really are. A 20 on the PCAT? LOL Can they even read? We are screwed guys.
Do you have anything better to do? I'm guessing not....

They all have a point. I absolutely hate standardized testing, but a 20 is pathetic and you know it. No point in defending that score if you want to save the profession.

She "only" took the exam once. Most people only need to take it once to make at least a 50. When I took the PCAT, I got tired during the reading comprehension and randomly clicked answers to get by. I STILL made a 60 in reading and a 92 composite. It is not that hard just to guess.

They all have a point. I absolutely hate standardized testing, but a 20 is pathetic and you know it. No point in defending that score if you want to save the profession.

She "only" took the exam once. Most people only need to take it once to make at least a 50. When I took the PCAT, I got tired during the reading comprehension and randomly clicked answers to get by. I STILL made a 60 in reading and a 92 composite. It is not that hard just to guess.
If she had a 3.7 and was doing research then obviously she can comprehend. I'm not defending the score but the person. Just because we can't understand why, doesn't give us the right to call her names.

If she had a 3.7 and was doing research then obviously she can comprehend. I'm not defending the score but the person. Just because we can't understand why, doesn't give us the right to call her names.

WOAH. no one is calling any names. Good for her for her research.

Yeah, definitely comprehend how to cheat in undergrad.

LOL. I actually laughed so hard when I read your comments about some professor pulling strings to get someone into pharmacy school. Some people are so gullible it's unbelievable. :heckyeah:

No one needs to "stick their neck out" or "pull strings" to get someone into pharmacy schools these days. If you actually believe this story, then I have a bridge to sell you. :laugh:

LOL. I actually laughed so hard when I read your comments about some professor pulling strings to get someone into pharmacy school. Some people are so gullible it's unbelievable. :heckyeah:

No one needs to "stick their neck out" or "pull strings" to get someone into pharmacy schools these days. If you actually believe this story, then I have a bridge to sell you. :laugh:

"Hey Dean, I know this girl who is willing to take out the loans for pharmacy school" lol

"Hey Dean, I know this girl who is willing to take out the loans for pharmacy school" lol

"She doesn't meet our minimum requirements, but if you make an exception, she'll increase our revenue by $150k over the next four years"

Oh wow, two interviews is great news! I'd love to be able to speak face to face with someone in order to accurately convey my determination to the field
I'm sure there are schools that will give you interviews; just keep searching