Reality Check

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pds21

Reaction score
Hello,

I graduated in 2013 with a ChE degree. I worked for 8 years as an engineer. I recently started a formal post-bacc program to do GPA repair and finish my pre-reqs.
I know I am only at the beginning of the marathon to med school, and I am willing to put in the time and effort, but I would like to know if I am being unrealistic and should just go back to being an engineer...

cGPA = 3.2; sGPA = 3.69 (not counting ChE courses)
Fr = 4.0
So = 3.4
Ju = 3.29
Sen = 1.87

I obviously did very poorly my senior year due to mental health reasons, and I still cringe thinking about it. A lot of D's in upper-level ChE courses. I can't believe I let myself slip that far. However, I have worked on myself a lot and am not the same person 10 years ago. I have had a successful engineering career, and now that I am mentally and financially comfortable, I thought I would try to follow through with my medicine dream before it's too late.

Would 2 years of 4.0 post-bacc make up for that horrendous uGPA trend/senior year GPA. Or there is no hope for me?

Any input is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I think enough time has passed that an excellent performance in a formal post bac will open a lot of doors for you. But you really do need to excel, because you won’t have any academic leeway from here on out. You will probably be expected to address your undergraduate grades at some point during the application process, so start thinking about how you want to frame those years.

Your MCAT score will ultimately determine whether you’re most competitive for MD or DO, but plan on applying broadly no matter the score. With very solid postbac stats and ECs, I think you will be OK.

If your MCAT score is good, even one year of 3.8+ GPA informal post-bacc performance would be enough to make you competitive for DO.

Members don't see this ad :)
You will be fine if you do well on the MCAT and show that you can do science coursework in a post-bacc. Have fun!

Hello,

I graduated in 2013 with a ChE degree. I worked for 8 years as an engineer. I recently started a formal post-bacc program to do GPA repair and finish my pre-reqs.
I know I am only at the beginning of the marathon to med school, and I am willing to put in the time and effort, but I would like to know if I am being unrealistic and should just go back to being an engineer...

cGPA = 3.2; sGPA = 3.69 (not counting ChE courses)
Fr = 4.0
So = 3.4
Ju = 3.29
Sen = 1.87

I obviously did very poorly my senior year due to mental health reasons, and I still cringe thinking about it. A lot of D's in upper-level ChE courses. I can't believe I let myself slip that far. However, I have worked on myself a lot and am not the same person 10 years ago. I have had a successful engineering career, and now that I am mentally and financially comfortable, I thought I would try to follow through with my medicine dream before it's too late.

Would 2 years of 4.0 post-bacc make up for that horrendous uGPA trend/senior year GPA. Or there is no hope for me?

Any input is greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Are plenty of medical schools that reward reinvention.

Contact your undergraduate school's Registrar, and see if you could get a retroactive withdrawal for all of your bad coursework. This is a thing that some schools, and the worst that they will tell you is no.