Reality of guard deployments (physician)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted480308

I want to be clear that this isn't a "can I serve and never get deployed" thread. I'm just looking for a few reflections from those who are/know physician soldiers in the guard. I understand that there is supposed to be a 90day boots on ground policy but I'd like some feedback on the experienced realities of how long deployments typically last, how often they happen, and how many of those are foreign/domestic.

I'm just trying to get some accurate information on what to expect for my family so we can all make an informed decision.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I want to be clear that this isn't a "can I serve and never get deployed" thread. I'm just looking for a few reflections from those who are/know physician soldiers in the guard. I understand that there is supposed to be a 90day boots on ground policy but I'd like some feedback on the experienced realities of how long deployments typically last, how often they happen, and how many of those are foreign/domestic.

I'm just trying to get some accurate information on what to expect for my family so we can all make an informed decision.

Thanks

Best thing to do is expect a 3-6 mo deployment, once every 3 years. If it doesnt happen that frequently (and it very well might not), so be it. But the expectation (and necessary preparation) should be there.

On the flip side: i dont hear of Navy reserve physicians deploying (involuntarily) that much

Reactions: 1 user
Knowing some guard Docs...my advice is to EXPECT to deploy. It is better to be prepared than not prepared.

Members don't see this ad :)
Knowing some guard Docs...my advice is to EXPECT to deploy. It is better to be prepared than not prepared.
I consider depolyment part of the gig, i'm cool with that. Just trying to get an realistic expectation

Reactions: 1 user
I understand that there is supposed to be a 90day boots on ground policy but I'd like some feedback on the experienced realities of how long deployments typically last, how often they happen, and how many of those are foreign/domestic.
I'm a doc in the Guard, have not yet deployed...

In terms of timing, 90 days boots-on-ground is a real policy. The Army did a study and found that reserve corps physicians were able to typically tolerate 90 day deployments without leaving in droves whereas many-to-most physicians would strongly consider leaving if deployed for 6-12 months. You hear people talk about Guard docs deployed for longer, but the only ones I know that were re-upped for additional time either while there or pre-mission. I have not met any that involuntarily were kept beyond the 90 days and haven't found others that experienced this.

The catch to this is two-fold:
- the reason it's termed "boots-on-ground" is that there is time pre-mob and post-mob that can occupy up to 30 combined days. So your deployment can be up to 120 days away from home.
- it's is policy and not written in the contract. People tend to respond to this that it means it can be suddenly rescinded, but I'd keep it in perspective. Even in the hot and heavy days of OEF/OIF, they did not rescind it. WWIII? Yes, they probably would. I'm not particularly worried about them getting rid of the 90 days boots-on-ground policy because it's a great recruitment tool and I have a hunch we've captured a lot of docs that would have otherwise gone Navy. I'd sure have considered it...

In terms of tempo, the deployments seemed to occur at about once every 2-3 years during the peak. The q2 year deployments seemed most common amongst flight surgeons.

In terms of location, true deployments tend to be international in the Guard. The ARNG is made up of combat and combat support units, so when we are deployed during time of war, it tends to be to the warzone. The Reserve has a broader scope and when they have been deployed it was either to the warzone or very often in the U.S. to backfill deploying soldiers. I don't know of Guard docs who have done this, it is much less frequent.

Domestically and internationally, there are also missions, but these are voluntary. I spent two weeks on a native american reservation delivering care in the Guard, but this was not a deployment. The number of opportunities like this seem to be state-dependent.

Hope this helps....

Reactions: 1 users
Being mentally prepared for 6 months every 2 years is good advice. I'll add to take into account the impact that has on family and work. Also keep in mind that beyond time away from family and civilian comforts, that deployment costs the average physician $50k in lost income but can be over $100k to some specialties. A drill weekend can cost you $1-2k and annual training can cost you $5-10k. You need to account for that when you weigh the pros and cons, especially when taking into account any money the military is offering.

That being said, I think the Guard is the best option out there for people wanting to serve in the military as physicians but it takes some planning to keep it balanced with your civilian obligations...

Reactions: 1 users
Being mentally prepared for 6 months every 2 years is good advice. I'll add to take into account the impact that has on family and work. Also keep in mind that beyond time away from family and civilian comforts, that deployment costs the average physician $50k in lost income but can be over $100k to some specialties. A drill weekend can cost you $1-2k and annual training can cost you $5-10k. You need to account for that when you weigh the pros and cons, especially when taking into account any money the military is offering.

That being said, I think the Guard is the best option out there for people wanting to serve in the military as physicians but it takes some planning to keep it balanced with your civilian obligations...
I've realized the the small idea of going solo fm is dead with the guard. As is the idea of going very small rural em group. I'm ok with that. Thanks for your help

Agree with notdeadyet, most of the docs in our state at their peak were deploying for their 3 months every 2-3 years. Docs can deploy for longer than 90 days if they are in certain positions where they deploy with their unit and stay in that position (company commander for an ASMC or brigade surgeon possibly)