Really need advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just graduated from University in Canada with a sGPA of 3.4, and a cGPA of 3.5 (there is also a pretty significant upward trend in my gpa, 3.1 in the first semester of my first year to a 4.0 in the last semester of my last year...and pretty much all science courses in my 3rd and 4th year). My EC's are good but my last dental shadowing experience was in the summer of 2011. So far, I've received interviews from Minnesota and NOVA. I am going back to University to do a 5th year (again I have already completed my degree) so I was just wondering what you guys think the best option for me is...

1) Take a full course load to show that I can continue doing well
2) Take a smaller course load and get involved with more volunteering and shadowing work

Thanks a lot,
any opinions are greatly appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

The, perhaps obvious, thing you should do is spend a solid amount of time and effort preparing for the two interviews you have. Beyond that, I'd say do whatever plugs holes in your application best. Taking a reasonable course load (12-15 credits) and involving yourself in some additional shadowing or volunteering (dental related) would probably do the trick.

okay thanks for your input but does is 12-15 credits mean? what is that in semester hours?

Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure if you're on quarters or what, I thought this was a commonly used term :O... It means you'll take courses that add up to that many hours. For example, maybe you want to take a 4 hour physiology course, 3 hour cell biology course, 4 hour microbiology course, and a 3 hour spanish course. 4 + 3 + 4 + 3 = 14 credit hours.

ahh okay thanks a lot of the explanation. I got to school in Canada so credits work differently here

Just so you know, not all schools are different here. I go to school in Canada and they work just like NMC2010 explained.