Reapp List Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wasteofspace323

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
35/3.9 are my stats.

My current list is:
Reach
Case Western
U Virginia

Target
U Iowa
Boston U
Rochester
U Colorado
U Cincinati
Saint Louis
U Miami
Tufts
Wake Forest

Safety
Temple U
Jefferson Rush U
George Washington
VA Commonwealth
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Albany
Ohio State
Pittsburg

Reapp
UAB*
USA*

DO
ACOM*
VCOM*
Des Moines
Kansas City

*In State

I feel the reason I was rejected last year was because of my poor interviews and significant lack of clinical experiences. I've been working on that this year and i'm reapplying with a job in the ER and i'm working heavily on improving my interview skills. I based this list on a similar thread on the front page because i'm completely ignorant about this sort of thing. I would appreciate any criticism. I plan to spend all weekend pre-writing secondaries once i've decided on a permanent list. If anyone has good DO recommendations I would be grateful because I really don't know anything about them.

Members don't see this ad.

You should add more "safety" schools since you were not accepted in the previous cycle. You have several state public schools (Ohio, Colorado, Iowa, Virginia) that strongly prefer their own state residents. Also Pittsburgh is not a "safety" school. Consider adding these schools to increase your chance for an acceptance somewhere:
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Drexel
Georgetown
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Creighton
Tulane
You should be fine for DO schools.

3.9/35, LizzyM=74

Did you apply broadly? Early enough? How many II's did you get? Those are some seriously strong stats for a reapp.

Members don't see this ad :)
I suggest:

I suggest the following. The ones in bold do not apply to if you are weak in research.

U VM

U Toledo (maybe)

Miami

St. Louis

Albany

Albert Einstein

Rochester

Rush

Rosy Franklin

NYMC

EVMS

Wake Forest

Jefferson

Temple

Drexel

Creighton

Tulane

USC/Keck

Dartmouth

Loyola

USF Morsani

Emory

BU

Mayo

Duke

Case

Baylor

JHU

Pitt

Northwestern

NYU

Vanderbilt

Columbia

Any new MD school, especially Hofstra. Skip Central MI and the three new FL schools.

Your state school(s).

For all those in the WAMC forum who don't think a lack of clinical exposure can even keep the best applicants out and scoff at the notion here is yet another exhibit

If your interview skills have improved I do think you'll find a lot more success this time around OP. Follow Goros list

I suggest:
I suggest the following. The ones in bold do not apply to if you are weak in research.

Any new MD school, especially Hofstra. Skip Central MI and the three new FL schools.

I have a significant amount of time performing research and a strong LoR from the professor I spent doing so under, however I have no publications. Should I go ahead and assume i'm considered weak in research?

In terms of new medical schools that aren't a branch of a heavily in-state favoring school (Dell, etc.), i'm seeing California Northstate, Cooper, and Western Michigan. I will go ahead and add these to my list unless otherwise specified. If there are any that I missed or misinterpreted, I would be grateful for input.

You should add more "safety" schools since you were not accepted in the previous cycle. You have several state public schools (Ohio, Colorado, Iowa, Virginia) that strongly prefer their own state residents. Also Pittsburgh is not a "safety" school. Consider adding these schools to increase your chance for an acceptance somewhere:
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Drexel
Georgetown
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Creighton
Tulane
You should be fine for DO schools.

I've added those to my list, thanks. Some of those I applied at last year (3) and I am trying to avoid reapplication as much as possible.

My understanding was that Colorado (36% oos) and Ohio (44%) and Iowa (33%) were pretty good chances for an OOS because they accepted a significant number. If you feel this is wrong though I am willing to remove them.

I have a significant amount of time performing research and a strong LoR from the professor I spent doing so under, however I have no publications. Should I go ahead and assume i'm considered weak in research?

In terms of new medical schools that aren't a branch of a heavily in-state favoring school (Dell, etc.), i'm seeing California Northstate, Cooper, and Western Michigan. I will go ahead and add these to my list unless otherwise specified. If there are any that I missed or misinterpreted, I would be grateful for input.

I've added those to my list, thanks. Some of those I applied at last year (3) and I am trying to avoid reapplication as much as possible.

My understanding was that Colorado (36% oos) and Ohio (44%) and Iowa (33%) were pretty good chances for an OOS because they accepted a significant number. If you feel this is wrong though I am willing to remove them.
There is no harm in applying to those schools but many of those OOS applicants who are accepted have connections to those states (attended college in the state, parents are legacies, etc.). You are much more likely to be accepted to your own state schools rather than another state's public school.

There is no harm in applying to those schools but many of those OOS applicants who are accepted have connections to those states (attended college in the state, parents are legacies, etc.). You are much more likely to be accepted to your own state schools rather than another state's public school.

I understand. You're probably right. I interviewed at all of my instate medical schools, but I was only put on the wait list. This year was an uncommonly difficult year for waitlisted individuals in my state, as usually about half of both lists get in, but this year only about 1/6th or less did. This is just my interpretation, but if you don't get in with stats like mine and you interviewed poorly, I imagine they perceive they found something wrong with your core personality thus it would be hard to get reconsidered. Obviously you can portray yourself differently at an interview at a different school, but I don't think that ADCOMs like to think that interviews are simply a test of "interview skills" that you can improve just as easily, if not more so, than achieving clinical experience or improving one's MCAT.

I suggest:

U VM

U Toledo (maybe)

Miami

St. Louis

Albany

Albert Einstein

Rochester

Rush

Rosy Franklin

NYMC

EVMS

Wake Forest

Jefferson

Temple

Drexel

Creighton

Tulane

USC/Keck

Dartmouth

Loyola

USF Morsani

Emory

BU

Mayo

Duke

Case

Baylor

JHU

Pitt

Northwestern

NYU

Vanderbilt

Columbia

Your state school(s).

Of the New York schools, which is most forgiving of not as much research experience? I notice you did not bold Cornell or Sinai

I'd say:

Rochester
Hofstra
SUNY Upstate
SNY DS
SUNY Buffalo
NYITCOM
Touro-NY
Albany
NYMC

Cornell and Sinai weren't on the list, but are major research powerhouses. All the NYC MD schools are, with the probably exception of SUNY DS.

Of the New York schools, which is most forgiving of not as much research experience? I notice you did not bold Cornell or Sinai