Reapplicant after withdrawal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

powow

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I withdrew from medical school due to medical reasons in my second year. I went on medical leave at the end of my second year. My school does not permit students to continue their education if they cannot complete their education within a 6 year period. I still did not feel ready to continue after 1.5 years of leave.

I did not do anything related to medicine since I left medical school. I worked and tried opportunities in other fields. I was wondering if I could get advice in reapplying to medical school.

I was in a US allopathic program.
I am sure I will have to retake the MCAT.
I had a 3.8GPA

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

I withdrew from medical school due to medical reasons in my second year. I went on medical leave at the end of my second year. My school does not permit students to continue their education if they cannot complete their education within a 6 year period. I still did not feel ready to continue after 1.5 years of leave.

I did not do anything related to medicine since I left medical school. I worked and tried opportunities in other fields. I was wondering if I could get advice in reapplying to medical school.

I had a 3.8GPA

Thank you

Have you talked with your prior medical school about reentry? Schools will also want to know more about the leave. The more ambiguous you are, the more likely they'll start thinking the worst reasons for it.

Reactions: 1 user
Normally, my school will not accept applicants who have matriculated into MD schools, but we make exceptions for medical withdrawals. If you don't get any love from MD schools, then try DO school.

BUT, have your health issues resolved? Is there a risk that they will recur????

I had a 3.8GPA

Thank you

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you talked with your prior medical school about reentry? Schools will also want to know more about the leave. The more ambiguous you are, the more likely they'll start thinking the worst reasons for it.

The last time I spoke to the deans--when I withdrew--I was told that I would have to re-apply if I wanted to get a seat at the medical school from which I withdrew.

Normally, my school will not accept applicants who have matriculated into MD schools, but we make exceptions for medical withdrawals. If you don't get any love from MD schools, then try DO school.

BUT, have your health issues resolved? Is there a risk that they will recur????
My health issues have resolved. I don't think there is a risk for recurrence, but I will check with my doctor

Thank you for your replies. Do I need to contact admissions offices individually to find out if they reject previous matriculants? I am wondering because the application process is expensive, and I wish to apply again.

Do you know who I might speak to about what I could do in the meantime to improve my application to medical school? Do I go back to the university I attended as an undergraduate to seek guidance? (I am wondering what and how to provide information regarding my withdrawal. Also, I am wondering if I need to seek volunteering and shadowing opportunities as I had in college? Or if it's better for me to pursue a master's degree prior to applying again? I don't know what I ought to do to improve my application/resume)

Thanks again for all your help.

It can't hurt to contact Admissions deans and ask if you're still competitive given your history.

Thank you for your replies. Do I need to contact admissions offices individually to find out if they reject previous matriculants? I am wondering because the application process is expensive, and I wish to apply again.

This board is a wonderful resource.
Do you know who I might speak to about what I could do in the meantime to improve my application to medical school?

You might need to, if only to prepare for the new MCAT.
Do I go back to the university I attended as an undergraduate to seek guidance? (I am wondering what and how to provide information regarding my withdrawal. Also, I am wondering if I need to seek volunteering and shadowing opportunities as I had in college?

If you did poorly in med school, good performance will allay any fears about your ability to handle med school curricula.

Or if it's better for me to pursue a master's degree prior to applying again? I don't know what I ought to do to improve my application/resume)

Are there any work or volunteer experiences you would recommend for the next two years as I prepare to reapply? I plan to reapply next year; I think the earliest I could complete an application would be November.

Are there any work or volunteer experiences you would recommend for the next two years as I prepare to reapply? I plan to reapply next year; I think the earliest I could complete an application would be November.
November is too late for a good chance at MD interviews.

before you wast time/money call ALL the schools you are considering and ASK them IF they would even consider you. Some schools will not matriculate prior medical students. Good luck.

I would call LECOM 814-866-6641 - they are all about second chances. (At least they used to be) I had a guy in my class with the same situation. Was in MD school and had to leave due to family/health. He graduated with us.