Reapplicant: GPA: 3.6, MCAT 35

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mr.R

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
-

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I applied in 2012 for 2013 matriculation. Received 3 interviews, 2 wait-lists, 0 acceptances. I admit that I was not terribly surprised by these results. I submitted my application before actually taking an MCAT (which caused me to quickly retake it... twice... with no improvement).

My 2012 Application:
cGPA: 3.6
sGPA: 3.51
MCAT: May 29, June 26, July 29
Research: 2 Publications - 1 first author - many abstracts/poster presentations/research awards/fellowships
LOR: 1 from PI, 1 from another tenured science professor, 1 from English Professor
Schools Applied to: 35 Schools - all schools in my state, other schools mostly midwest, east-coast, no large public institutions with mostly in-state matriculants or 10,000+ applicants.
Volunteering/Shadowing: Shadowed a GP, volunteered in university hospital for 4 years...

My 2014 Application Changes:
MCAT: 35 (12,12,11)
Spent 18 Months working for my father in his private clinic (he is a surgeon). Managed his office, scribed, worked as a technician performing simple tests, worked front desk, discharge, surgery scheduling, billing, observed surgeries...
Worked for a private high school tutoring company that also does ACT prep.
Spent last 3 months working for a children's hospital specimens lab doing technical histo/path work.
Volunteered at a different hospital....
One new LOR.

I am worried that my application has not improved much. I am concerned that I come across as an entitled child of a rich doctor who just "worked for daddy" when things didn't work out for him... I really worked my butt off for him (and did in fact enjoy the work I was doing - and learned and grew in a variety of ways while there...). I also worry that my GPA just isn't competitive enough either. Obviously I am glad that my MCAT has improved, but is it even possible to recover from such a botch job of 3 bad scores in a row?

What are my chances? Where might I apply?
Thank you.
What is the average of all your MCAT scores (considering that many schools are moving toward averaging all scores)?

Do you have any nonmedical community service in the last two years?

Any peer leadership?

What brings your BCPM GPA down?

What is the average of all your MCAT scores (considering that many schools are moving toward averaging all scores)?

Do you have any nonmedical community service in the last two years?

Any peer leadership?

What brings your BCPM GPA down?

Average MCAT: 30 (10, 9, 11). Not much peer leadership, not much nonmedical community service either... :( I think I probably challenged myself too much at the beginning of my undergrad. I took the maximum number of credits almost every semester, tried to double major (but ended up dropping it), and I spent the majority of my free hours working in my lab...

Members don't see this ad :)
I suggest aiming mainly at the less selective med schools unless you are pretty sure (from a phone call contact or email to the school) that a given school mainly considers most-recent score. Your research and clinical experience are obviously terrific, but a lack of Leadership and nonmedical community service to those in need is going to hurt you. Even using an MSAR and aiming toward nonMid West schools, it will be difficult for you to find a good assortment of schools where you fit their mission statement. Too bad you didn't check in here a year or two ago.

Not an exhaustive list, but a starting point of schools for you to check out:

UWisc, Rush, Jefferson, Virginia Tech (newer, research focus), Temple, Colorado (prefers 500 hr clinical&nontrads), Albany, GWU,

Toledo, Wake, Nebraska, LSU-NO, NYMC, Vermont, Hofstra (newer)

Wright, Drexel, Tulane, MSU (high OOS tuition), Oakland (newer in MI), Penn State (requires a research thesis), Arizona X 2,

VCU, Louisville, UIllinois (high OOS tuition), Buffalo,

EVMS, RFU, Cooper (new)

Quinnipiac (CT-new)

I concur with my learned colleague. MSAR Online is your friend. Aim for schools whose median numbers are close to your own. Don't forget DO schools, for which you're high competitive, even at mine. Avoid state MD schools other than your own, as they prefer the home team.

I suggest aiming mainly at the less selective med schools unless you are pretty sure (from a phone call contact or email to the school) that a given school mainly considers most-recent score. Your research and clinical experience are obviously terrific, but a lack of Leadership and nonmedical community service to those in need is going to hurt you. Even using an MSAR and aiming toward nonMid West schools, it will be difficult for you to find a good assortment of schools where you fit their mission statement. Too bad you didn't check in here a year or two ago.

UWisc, Rush, Jefferson, Virginia Tech (newer, research focus), Temple, Colorado (prefers 500 hr clinical&nontrads), Albany, GWU,

Wright, Drexel, Tulane, MSU (high OOS tuition), Oakland (newer in MI), Penn State (requires a research thesis), Arizona X 2,

EVMS, RFU, Cooper (new)

Quinnipiac (CT-new)

EVMS, RFU, Cooper (new)

Quinnipiac (CT-new)

Thank you for this list.

To clarify, I have not done any NEW leadership/community service since I first applied. I was president of two student groups at my university (one academic, the other athletic). I have also spent one of my summers in Tianjin, China working for a non-profit focused on the education of disabled children. I don't think that I lack leadership experiences or community service experiences (and I don't really think these matter as much as you seem to think they do).

You need to have a change from previous app, you should take advice above and improve your app. Good luck

1) To clarify, I have not done any NEW leadership/community service since I first applied. I was president of two student groups at my university (one academic, the other athletic).

2) I have also spent one of my summers in Tianjin, China working for a non-profit focused on the education of disabled children.

3) I don't think that I lack leadership experiences or community service experiences (and I don't really think these matter as much as you seem to think they do).
1) I'm glad you'll have something to list in those categories.

2) What was your role, exactly? Were you one of those who taught the children? Did you get a paycheck doing your job?

3) Having no recent activity in those categories will mean your application won't appeal to some schools that either a) aim to train future leaders in medicine, or b) value consistent, dedicated humanistic involvement. There are other schools that value scientific endeavors, or aim to train primary care docs, or have some other focus in their mission statement, who will be perfectly happy with some experience in those arenas.