Reapplicant, not much has changed since last year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bluedevil1991

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here is what my med school resume looks like currently,

GPA: 3.59 (after my first 3 semesters my GPA was 3.3, carried a 3.7 since then)
Science GPA: 3.35
25 MCAT (8/7/10)
first generation African American student

-Interned in a hospital abroad for 2 months (200+ hours) in Ethiopia
-interned in an emergency room domestically in America (150+ hours)
-MD shadow (50 hours)
-strong community service all 4 years of undergrad
-2 years of nutrition and animal physiology research (no publications)
-creator and editor-in-chief of a university minority newsletter (3 years)

-Since graduating last year, I am a full time manager of a small business ~ working approximately 60 hours a week and haven't been able to add any more shadowing or any medically related volunteering due to my hectic schedule.

I am planning to reapply as early as possible this cycle both MD and DO, I just want to get a good idea of what my chances are?

Members don't see this ad.

If nothing changes in your app, why would your results change?

It's a mistake for you to apply again with that MCAT. I recommend taking another year off to study for an April retake, and if you do substantially better, then try again for the 2016-2017 app cycle.

You could also look at programs like Georgetown GEMS and the UC postbacs. There's info on these in the postbac forum, under Interdisciplinary.

Best of luck to you.

I would definitely think that your biggest issue was your MCAT score and it also wouldn't hurt to add a bit more shadowing, especially if you decide to take another year. As @DrMidlife mentioned, I think you need some more time to work on your app if nothing has changed. Best of luck to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
There's info on these in the postbac forum, under Interdisciplinary.
6ik4Ah

Did you apply to the HBCU's?

No, When I applied last year, I only applied to really about 9 schools, most of them on the west coast. This cycle, I am probably going to apply to 20+ schools including all the HBCU's and about 8 D.O. programs.

No, When I applied last year, I only applied to really about 9 schools, most of them on the west coast. This cycle, I am probably going to apply to 20+ schools including all the HBCU's and about 8 D.O. programs.
Did you interview at any UC's? UCI and UCSD sometimes call unsuccessful applicants to be a part of their early acceptance programs if you pass a year of required courses. Did you have evidence of service to your community on the application?