Reapplicant School List Advice for 2022-2023 Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kirby101101

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I applied back in 2020-2021 and I received no interview.
Weaknesses:
Cumulative and science GPA: 3.4x,3.1X
Low Clinical Hours
MCAT:509
School List was not the best
No Physician LOR for DO schools

Changes I made to address the weaknesses:
4.0 in a SMP
1000+ of Clinical Hours working as a Medical Assistant at a Safety Net Clinic for immigrant/low-income/uninsured populations through a Service Corps Program
Retook the MCAT 514
Already have both an MD and DO in mind for a LOR

I am hoping that really well-written essays and a solid school list will save me this cycle. I was thinking of applying to around 25 MD and 10 DO Schools.

I am an Illinois resident and an ORM minority. I do have some ties to Tennessee and Maryland/DMV area as a side note. I would like to stay either in the Midwest or East Coast but of course, would be open to any region of the US. I strongly prefer urban or suburban areas but if I really liked the school I would consider being in a rural area. I would appreciate any suggestions on my school list whether that be removing or adding schools. I feel fairly good about my DO school list but feel iffy on the MD side. Any input is helpful but would like to know which schools are more reinvention friendly :)
Schools (MD)
UIC
Loyola
Temple
Rush
Rosalind and Franklin
Drexel
SLU
Creighton
Medical College Wisconsin
Jefferson
Tulane
NYMC
EVMS
NOVA
Hackensack
George Washington
Penn State
Quinnipac
Vermont
Wright State
Oakland university
university of miami
VCU
wake forest
Albany
University of Maryland
Georgetown
FAU
DO
PCOM
AT-still arizona
NSU COM
MU-COM
LECOM-Elmira
KCU-COM
Touro-COM NY
CCOM
DMU COM
msu-com

Members don't see this ad.

Excellent work on the SMP and MCAT retake!

For MD, consider adding Tufts, TCU, Wayne State and Dartmouth. Swap Wright State for Toledo instead. Dartmouth is in a more remote location as an FYI, so check that out since you said you preferred bigger than that. FAU takes limited OOS students so I’d take that off the list.

For DO, remove Nova, they have had concerning board scores and problems with administration. You can apply to NYIT instead. Western and TUNCOM are also good options in bigger cities. I think you might want to do the main Erie campus for LECOM instead of Elmira since the area around Erie, PA is definitely bigger.

Reactions: 1 user
Excellent work on the SMP and MCAT retake!

For MD, consider adding Tufts, TCU, Wayne State and Dartmouth. Swap Wright State for Toledo instead. Dartmouth is in a more remote location as an FYI, so check that out since you said you preferred bigger than that. FAU takes limited OOS students so I’d take that off the list.

For DO, remove Nova, they have had concerning board scores and problems with administration. You can apply to NYIT instead. Western and TUNCOM are also good options in bigger cities. I think you might want to do the main Erie campus for LECOM instead of Elmira since the area around Erie, PA is definitely bigger.
Thank you I appreciate the input, especially with the DO insight. I am hesitant to put Tufts and Dartmouth due to lackluster undergrad performance any particular reason you suggested these schools?

Thank you I appreciate the input, especially with the DO insight. I am hesitant to put Tufts and Dartmouth due to lackluster undergrad performance any particular reason you suggested these schools?
I believe they reward reinvention. Dartmouth especially takes non-traditional students, so they are more likely to look at everything instead of ruling you out for your undergrad grades. Your SMP really shows you are a different student now