MD & DO Reapplicant Seeking Advice on 2022-2023 Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

puravida42

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would be surprised if you do not receive DO interviews. You could add more DO schools this week and I suggest these:
Touro-NY
MU-COM
CUSOM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
TUNCOM
UIWSOM
The GPA-MCAT grid shows you have a ~50% chance for a MD interview so you need to include many DO schools in your application.

Members don't see this ad :)
You only have 77 hours of nonclinical volunteering and this is your second cycle? And none seem to have you jumping out of your comfort zone.(FYI- Rush expects and gets hundreds if not thousands of service hours from their applicants.)
250 shadowing hours is overkill. You only need 50 as long as some is with a primary care doc.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
I would be surprised if you do not receive DO interviews. You could add more DO schools this week and I suggest these:
Touro-NY
MU-COM
CUSOM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
TUNCOM
UIWSOM
The GPA-MCAT grid shows you have a ~50% chance for a MD interview so you need to include many DO schools in your application.
Thank you so much!

You only have 77 hours of nonclinical volunteering and this is your second cycle? And none seem to have you jumping out of your comfort zone.(FYI- Rush expects and gets hundreds if not thousands of service hours from their applicants.)
250 shadowing hours is overkill. You only need 50 as long as some is with a primary care doc.
Hello! Thank you for this insight. I definitely look forward to re-engaging in some nonclinical volunteering in the coming time. It’s been tough finding opportunities around me that fit with my work schedule, but I will continue to search for them!

I was hoping that my volunteer/work hours as an EMT and ER Tech spoke to my commitment to service and experience working with diverse patient populations; this work certainly frequently pushed me outside of my comfort zone! Does that help at all?

Hello! Thank you for this insight. I definitely look forward to re-engaging in some nonclinical volunteering in the coming time. It’s been tough finding opportunities around me that fit with my work schedule, but I will continue to search for them!

I was hoping that my volunteer/work hours as an EMT and ER Tech spoke to my commitment to service and experience working with diverse patient populations; this work certainly frequently pushed me outside of my comfort zone! Does that help at all?
I would think it would but spending some time at a homeless shelter or a soup kitchen can help diversify your activities.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
I would think it would but spending some time at a homeless shelter or a soup kitchen can help diversify your activities.
Sounds good, thank you! That sounds like wonderful work that I’d be happy to be involved in; I will look into that.

Would that be the sort of opportunity that would be appropriate to share about in a potential update letter to schools I’ve applied to? Or would that more be in preparation for a potential third app cycle?

Sounds good, thank you! That sounds like wonderful work that I’d be happy to be involved in; I will look into that.

Would that be the sort of opportunity that would be appropriate to share about in a potential update letter to schools I’ve applied to? Or would that more be in preparation for a potential third app cycle?
3rd application cycle. It would not be worth an update until you have gained significant hours in the new activity, and by that point, the cycle will be over (for MD at least).

Reactions: 2 users

Just do it. Don't plan it as an update. It will come off as being a desperate attempt to check off a box.

It should be your goal to present as ideal an application as possible... not to think about applying for a third time.

3rd application cycle. It would not be worth an update until you have gained significant hours in the new activity, and by that point, the cycle will be over (for MD at least).
That makes sense, thank you.

Just do it. Don't plan it as an update. It will come off as being a desperate attempt to check off a box.

It should be your goal to present as ideal an application as possible... not to think about applying for a third time.
Thank you! Could you please clarify what you mean by putting my best foot forward with this app cycle without sending an update?

Thank you! Could you please clarify what you mean by putting my best foot forward with this app cycle without sending an update?

I said,