Reapplicant Strategy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chajjohnson

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

So I am reapplying to med schools this year after a terrible cycle last year ( 1 waitlist, 4 rejections, picked very top heavy schools) and am wondering on the strategy to take with essays and things. I have very good stats ( 37P MCAT, 3.85 sGPA, 3 years reserach with multiple publications/presentations, 2 years hospice volunteering...), but I think my clinical experience isn't that great, and I haven't done much to improve my application except volunteer more. What do you think my strategy should be for my personal statement? Do I acknowledge that I am a reapplicant and my percieved weak spots? How so? I also tried to shadow about 10 doctors this year, but none of them would go for it. I realize this is probably a big weak spot on my app. Should I explain that I tried to shadow? Thanks.

p.s. One of my letter-writers asked if she should write about me as a reapplicant and how i've improved, or just write as if I was a first timer. Any opinions?

Members don't see this ad.

So you only applied to 5 really top schools this cycle? I hope you are planning to apply to more this year.

I've never had to reapply but if I did I definately would not waste precious space in my application explaining why I'm reapplying and talking about my weaknesses.... If you really want to bring it up I would mention it in the context of a specific clinical experience you had this year and how that confirmed this is what you were meant to do and that you would not give up.... but if it were me I would just discuss it in my secondaries....

To the schools you're reapplying to, explain how you've improved over the year and why you're better now. And ditto for the LOR writer

Apply early, and broaden your reach. definitely apply to your state school, if any, and those in neighboring states.

If you can't find a doctor to shadow, you're not trying hard enough. If you need to travel to find one, do it. It's your career we're talking about so consider if the sacrifice is worth it.

Hey Guys,

So I am reapplying to med schools this year after a terrible cycle last year ( 1 waitlist, 4 rejections, picked very top heavy schools) and am wondering on the strategy to take with essays and things. I have very good stats ( 37P MCAT, 3.85 sGPA, 3 years reserach with multiple publications/presentations, 2 years hospice volunteering...), but I think my clinical experience isn't that great, and I haven't done much to improve my application except volunteer more. What do you think my strategy should be for my personal statement? Do I acknowledge that I am a reapplicant and my percieved weak spots? How so? I also tried to shadow about 10 doctors this year, but none of them would go for it. I realize this is probably a big weak spot on my app. Should I explain that I tried to shadow? Thanks.

p.s. One of my letter-writers asked if she should write about me as a reapplicant and how i've improved, or just write as if I was a first timer. Any opinions?

Members don't see this ad :)
To the schools you're reapplying to, explain how you've improved over the year and why you're better now. And ditto for the LOR writer

Apply early, and broaden your reach. definitely apply to your state school, if any, and those in neighboring states.

If you can't find a doctor to shadow, you're not trying hard enough. If you need to travel to find one, do it. It's your career we're talking about so consider if the sacrifice is worth it.

At this point, I can't really find someone to shadow. I've met and "shadowed" about 5 doctors for 1-2 hours (tours and talks about medical life), but that's all i've been able to get. I know it's not much, but would there be any useful way to mention this?

At this point, I can't really find someone to shadow. I've met and "shadowed" about 5 doctors for 1-2 hours (tours and talks about medical life), but that's all i've been able to get. I know it's not much, but would there be any useful way to mention this?

That's definitely better than nothing - you can lump those all together as "shadowing" and include it as an activity on AMCAS.

Could you shadow one of the hospice care docs, possibly?

I sense a lot of negativity from you about your application! You are someone who has great stats, had bad advice and so didn't apply correctly last year, but now are getting better advice and will apply correctly this year. It's just that simple. As for your clinical experience, I would not say "I tried to shadow a doc and couldn't find one" to anyone along the trail, as this will be perceived as "you can't even do a simple task". And this isn't even the case - you did find docs - 5 of them! Don't put yourself down. Write this as "shadowed a wide variety of docs to get a better sense of the variety of medical specialties" - or if they are all in similar fields, "shadowed a wide variety of docs to get a better sense of the variety between practices in X field". This is just as useful, if not more so, than 60 hours in one clinic, because the experiences in one clinic cannot be generalized to all of medicine.

To echo people above, do not write about your deficiencies to the 5 schools you previously applied to. Only briefly mention that you have "further confirmed my interest in medicine" and make them get the sense that you were not at all discouraged by rejection, and furthermore, that you are the sort of person that will never give up even in the face of rejection - which is a powerful trait that (trust me) will be extremely valuable as a med student/doctor. The 5 schools will be impressed with your perseverance. Write that during the first cycle, you applied to them as one of 5 schools because you really really wanted to go there, and that while you are now applying more smartly this year, you are reapplying to them because they are still your top choice(s).

To the other schools you haven't applied to, write it off as "As the first of my family to apply to medical school, I was not able to find strong mentors during my last application and applied to only 5 of the top medical schools. I was offered interviews, but my application just wasn't broad enough to seal the deal, but was more determined than ever to attend medical school so sought out the advice of many people, finding many strong mentors, and this year am applying much more smartly"