Reapplicant with low MCAT needs advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctor_wannabe

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys! I applied the 2015-2016 cycle and haven't received any acceptance yet. I'm working on taking the new MCAT and possibly reapplying in 2017. I would like some advice on how to improve my application in addition to my MCAT scores.

STATs:
cGPA: 3.8 sGPA; 3.67
MCAT: took twice and received the same score -> 23 (8, 6, 9) in Oct. 2014 and (7, 7, 9) in Jan. 2015 :(

ECs:
>2 years full-time biomedical research
>100 hrs clinical research
>200 hrs shadowing MD's & DO's
>400 hrs volunteer experience in a hospital
>400 hrs community service
LORs from 2 science professors, 2 non-science professors, 2 personal/supervisors, 1 MD, & 1 DO
1 year experience as a teaching assistant
1 year experience as a language instructor
1 year experience as volunteer coordinator for the American Red Cross
Certified bilingual medical interpreter

I graduated from college 2 years ago. This past cycle I applied exclusively to DO schools:
-submitted primaries to 26 schools
-received secondaries from 23
-II's from 5
-interviewed at 4
-wailisted at 2

At this point I'm kind of hopeless and having doubts that I will be accepted this cycle. I know that my MCAT score was a major issue because it had been asked about during almost all my interviews. But do you guys see anything else that needs to be improved in my application? I'm determined that becoming a doctor is what I want, so please try to help me out. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
How did the interviews go?
I wouldn't say I performed the best out of all the applicants. I didn't say anything horribly wrong during my interviews, but I couldn't tell whether my interviewers liked me for the most part. For one school I was waitlisted at, one of the interviewers said I was a good fit for the school, but I still end up being waitlisted. Other than that, I didn't receive much feedback from my interviewers. Does that mean they weren't impressed?

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't say I performed the best out of all the applicants. I didn't say anything horribly wrong during my interviews, but I couldn't tell whether my interviewers liked me for the most part. For one school I was waitlisted at, one of the interviewers said I was a good fit for the school, but I still end up being waitlisted. Other than that, I didn't receive much feedback from my interviewers. Does that mean they weren't impressed?
It sounds as though your self assessment is correct.
In order for a school to accept someone at risk, they have to feel that the risk is worth taking.
Low stats applicants need to interview very well.

Reactions: 1 user
The interviewers were being polite.

What's your Plan B?

It sounds as though your self assessment is correct.
In order for a school to accept someone at risk, they have to feel that the risk is worth taking.
Low stats applicants need to interview very well.

With a low stat waitlist, is it feasible for said waitlister to get pulled off, or is it just a courtesy/polite gesture at this point?

The interviewers were being polite.

What's your Plan B?
My plan B is to go for the PA route. But PA programs are very strict on direct patient contact hours, which I barely have any. Besides, I really want to become a doctor. :/

Out of curiosity, is rewriting the MCAT the 3rd time a bad idea? How do schools look at rewrites? How many is too many?

My plan B is to go for the PA route. But PA programs are very strict on direct patient contact hours, which I barely have any. Besides, I really want to become a doctor. :/

Hey op,

In the USA, there are like 5 professions that allow you to be called "doctor" and work on patients. Dentist, Optometry, Podiatry, even pharmacists come to mind, so don't fret if you want that DR. ____ on your lab coat.

I am in a similar situation to you, low MCAT. My plan if my MCAT goes south again is to apply to either podiatry school or dental school. Seriously look at Pod school if you can stand feet (pun intended). you get to be as autonomous as any type of doctor MD or DO, you get to do surgery, you are also are a legal medical doctor (DPM)! They make good money too (round 150K/year-300K), and you get to make a positive difference in people's lives, and you don't have to retake the MCAT!

Also, dentistry might be a good option too. The DAT is much easier than the MCAT, even though statistically, dental school is harder to get into! With your GPA however, getting into a Dental school should not be a problem, assuming a solid DAT score. Make good money (120K-literally millions), not a ton of insurance hassle, people don't die on you, never have to amputate a limb, and only four years of schooling! Only downside is that you would need to take the DAT.

Hey op,

In the USA, there are like 5 professions that allow you to be called "doctor" and work on patients. Dentist, Optometry, Podiatry, even pharmacists come to mind, so don't fret if you want that DR. ____ on your lab coat.

I am in a similar situation to you, low MCAT. My plan if my MCAT goes south again is to apply to either podiatry school or dental school. Seriously look at Pod school if you can stand feet (pun intended). you get to be as autonomous as any type of doctor MD or DO, you get to do surgery, you are also are a legal medical doctor (DPM)! They make good money too (round 150K/year-300K), and you get to make a positive difference in people's lives, and you don't have to retake the MCAT!

Also, dentistry might be a good option too. The DAT is much easier than the MCAT, even though statistically, dental school is harder to get into! With your GPA however, getting into a Dental school should not be a problem, assuming a solid DAT score. Make good money (120K-literally millions), not a ton of insurance hassle, people don't die on you, never have to amputate a limb, and only four years of schooling! Only downside is that you would need to take the DAT.
Thanks for the encouragement pal. Best luck to you too! =)

Out of curiosity, is rewriting the MCAT the 3rd time a bad idea? How do schools look at rewrites? How many is too many?
I would re-write MCAT. I wrote 3 times 23->27->512 (9/3/15). 3.5 cGPA, 3.6 sGPA. Reapplicant in Oct 2015 to 10 MD schools, 4 ii, 2 acceptance, 2 WL. Not a URM.

Last edited:
I would re-write MCAT. I wrote 3 times 23->27->512 (9/3/15). 3.5 cGPA, 3.6 sGPA. Reapplicant in Oct 2015 to 10 MD schools, 4 ii, 2 acceptance, 2 WL. Not a URM.

How did u make that big of a jump? Different study method?

How did u make that big of a jump? Different study method?
Not really, worked full time and plowed through Berkeley Review, TPR Verbal and a new set of EK books (specific to the new MCAT) in the evening and mornings. I did buy the AAMC question pack bundle for the third try and found it really helpful. Think the new MCAT played to my strengths. Was originally scheduled for August but didnt feel ready and pushed into September. Knew all the horror stories about late apps but was late already and didn't want to a write another low score.

Last edited:
If you are determined to get into a medical program I would retake the mcat. It will only help you if you can get above a 30 (this is a guesstimate number but I think realistic) to prove you have resolved whatever was holding you back and even then it is still risky. I would imagine with those improved scores you could get into a DO or low tier MD program if you interview really well. I guess I view the fact that you got interviews to mean that they thought you might be worth it even with the low score, so if you can improve it enough they will feel less uneasy and you might have a shot. Mind you it is very possible that the 23 twice is something you can't overcome, but I don't know. You may benefit from a dedicated mcat program or something (expensive I know, but some seem to really help students) but the best advice is probably found in the mcat forum. GL but don't reapply until you have resolved the concerns they will have with the mcat (and improved your interview skills).