DO Reapplication advice 3.3/506

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

randommed789

Reaction score
Hi! I applied to DO schools this cycle and have not been successful yet. I know my GPA and MCAT are weak, but I would really appreciate any advice for potential improvements. Secondaries were submitted in late Aug. My committee letter was also submitted at the end of August so I wasn’t complete at most schools until Sep. I have already taken 2 gap years working full time as a CRC. Before reapplying I’m planning on retaking the MCAT, applying for SMPs, and more volunteering.
  • ORM, NY
  • Undergrad: cGPA 3.30 and sGPA 3.1. This includes 20 credits of post-bacc (4.0), strong upward trend
  • MCAT: 1st score, 505. 2nd retake 506 (123/127/127/129). I know the retake with no improvement and 123 in C/P was probably one of my red flags.
  • Clinical
    • Free clinic volunteering- 255 hrs (over 2 years)
    • CRC- 2000 hrs (over 2 years full time)
    • Shadowing- various fields 100 hrs
  • Other
    • Research (social sciences and clinical)- 1,000 hrs (over 4 years)
    • Global health org leadership position- 1,000 hrs (over 4 years)
    • Non-healthcare employment on campus- 850 hrs (over 3 years)
    • Tutoring- 255 hrs
    • 2 publications (second author) and one oral presentation at a international med conference
  • School list: This cycle I limited to the northeast but I understand going forward I will broaden my reach.
    • LECOM (my 1 II, WL)
    • Nova (rejected)
    • AZCOM (Pre-II WL)
    • No word yet:
      • NYITCOM
      • Touro
      • ATSU-SOMA
      • Rowan
      • UNECOM
      • PCOM
      • MSUCOM
I appreciate any advice and thanks to anyone who's taken the time to read this through!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Any nonclinical volunteering to the unserved/underserved in your community?
I’m a bit confused. You mentioned your last 20 credits of a post bacc were 4.0 but then went on to mention your last 50 hours as a 3.8. Did that 50 include the 20 post bacc? Were the other 30 during your u degree?
I don’t know the nuances of DO applications but I would think your MCAT is fine and if you pick your schools correctly your GPAs are okay. Not great but okay enough to get more than one interview. So I’m not really sure what happened. Maybe because it was complete so late. Maybe a bad letter. Maybe bad or mediocre letters.

Reactions: 1 user
You could still receive more interviews between February and April. If you need to reapply apply to many more schools and I suggest all these:
LECOM (all schools)
PCOM (all schools)
WVSOM
UP-KYCOM
MU-COM
ATSU (both schools)
KCU-COM
ACOM
WCU-COM
TUNCOM
UIWSOM
Noorda-COM
ARCOM
NYIT-AR
BCOM
LMU-DCOM

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You did get a couple of interviews, so congratulations on that. I do think your DO school list was too narrow to begin with. No NYCOM or Touro-NY love... not sure why though I guess they do get a lot of applicants. Otherwise, there's not much to go with based on what is disclosed.

Any nonclinical volunteering to the unserved/underserved in your community?
I’m a bit confused. You mentioned your last 20 credits of a post bacc were 4.0 but then went on to mention your last 50 hours as a 3.8. Did that 50 include the 20 post bacc? Were the other 30 during your u degree?
I don’t know the nuances of DO applications but I would think your MCAT is fine and if you pick your schools correctly your GPAs are okay. Not great but okay enough to get more than one interview. So I’m not really sure what happened. Maybe because it was complete so late. Maybe a bad letter. Maybe bad or mediocre letters.
Yes, the 50 credits includes 30 of undergrad and 20 of postbacc. I'm definitely going to try and submit earlier next time and switch out some of the letters as well. Thanks for your comment and advice!!