Reapply now, or wait a year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chillyphilly

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied this year and am currently sitting on 2 wait-lists but not keeping my hopes up. Med school is my dream, so I defintely want to go, but I am graduating from undergrad this year and was just offered an awesome pharmacuetical job. I would make lots of money, but the catch is its a 2 year position.

I have a 3.5 gpa, 28mcat, volunteering, work experience, good LOR and I was a DI athlete for 4 years. I had to wait for the August mcat to come in last year, so I applied late. Do you think I have a good shot this year, 2008 (with very few changes to my app) or should I take the 2 year job, make some money and really try to improve my app for 2009 with more volunteering/shadowing and obviously 2 years of employment (and maybe even re-take the mcat?)

What do you think is my better option and would give me more success?

Members don't see this ad.

Does the pharmaceutical company require you to sign a 2 year contract, or is it simply implied? Because if it is implied then they can't keep you from leaving after a year if you get into med school. The truth is, very few people in the real world know where they will be in a year, so I don't see any reason you shouldn't take the job AND apply for school again this year. If you got on waitlists after applying late this year, there's a good chance that if you applied earlier next year you could get in, but there are definitely no absolutes when it comes to applying to med school (as you well know). Just my 2 cents though.

You should do both.

It's not a good habit to get into, but if you aren't contractually bound to stay 2yrs, you can quit if you get in this next round.

However, is there any way that the pharma world is small enough for this to hurt you in the future?