Reapplying after matriculating: is it possible?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedDO101

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a close friend who is contemplating about moving to a medical school that is closer to home for family reasons. However, she has already matriculated and started her first classes this fall at a foreign Carribean medical school (due to applying very late). Will she be able to either transfer or quit and reapply to a school that is closer to home in the future? Or do schools usually allow students to defer for a year and then start where she left off? I know that there is a question in the primary application asking applicants if they ever matriculated into a medical school so does anyone know how medical schools will react when they see the application and will it even be considered since she has matriculated?

She is thinking about quitting afte this semester and then reapplying soonafter, but Im not sure how schools will interpret her application. Anyone have any idea? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm just a pre-med, so take my advice with a grain of salt. However, before she does anything I would think she should contact the school(s) she is interested in and ask for their advice. However, I would think that there are a large number of her classmates who would like to transfer from their offshore med schools to one in the US, so my inclination is to think that this will be very difficult to accomplish.

If she is a qualified applicant, I believe she might have a chance. If there are circumstances in her family that necessitate her being with them, I couldn't see how a medical school would not allow this.

This might be better suited for the allo forum...